PDA

View Full Version : Ph and RO/DI

oddiseus
01/27/2007, 06:37 PM
I am wondering if anyone has experienced Ph levels being affected by thier RO/DI units. I tested my normal tap today and then tested my RO and my RO was way off the scale while the tap was normal 8.0 area. What could be changing the ph?

How can I bring Ph up in my tank?

jamynsdad
01/27/2007, 07:10 PM
the reverse osmosis process is what actually lowers the ph and makes it become acidic. I use Seachem Ph buffer. Keeps it at 8.3

Doglover_50
01/27/2007, 07:12 PM
agree--just use a Ph buffer

and prepare to buy an alkalinity buffer, a calcium test kit, and something to raise your calcium (2 step products are easy).

more likely you'll have to keep your eye out for alk in a nano tank

oddiseus
01/27/2007, 07:26 PM
I already use B- Ionic for calcium. I think that it takes care of the alk also.

So do I have to buffer my ph for ever?

The strange thing is I never had this problem on a different RO unit that I had before.

oddiseus
01/27/2007, 08:11 PM
Ok, so I went out and bought super buffer, in hopes that I can raise my Ph before anymore of my stuff dies.

I had 2 fish go missing in less than 3 days and then I bought a pair of cleaner shrimp and one of those died. Do you think all these deaths were because of the Ph?

Doglover_50
01/27/2007, 08:22 PM
Odd, sounds like time to do a full-out testing for everything; ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, alk, PH. If your corals are okay, probably isn't calcium. For safe measure, check your salinity (make sure your test instrument is working correctly), and obviously temp.
---Even if nothing looks like a problem, I'd do an immediate water change--25% or so. And keep doing them for the next few days.
Water changes are the panacea of all problems.
I hope it's just your PH. The good thing is the effect from the buffer is immediate.

oddiseus
01/27/2007, 08:44 PM
So, will this buffer have any ill effect on the b-ionic that I use? It also adjusts alk, but the b-ionic does that also.

Also I drink my RO water, the guy I bought it off of said that it is great for drinking. Is this ok?

Doglover_50
01/27/2007, 08:54 PM
Odd, these things are related (ph, alk, etc...) but I can't really describe for you how. But I don't think using the PH buffer will affect your b ionic, as you asked. Most importantly--I'd say use that ph buffer now.
I'm no fan of tucson (or PHX) water, but...yes, you are quite safe to drink it out of your ro unit---many people keep a tank with it to keep fresh water for their own use.

oddiseus
01/27/2007, 09:15 PM
thanks for the input.

My corals, snails, hermits, ect.. are doing well, its just the fish and then as of today a scarlet cleaner that died, Why would these animals be the only ones affected?

Doglover_50
01/27/2007, 09:48 PM
hard to say, but...when it's more than one fish, AND across species--fish and invert--there is something systematically wrong. I hope it's just your ph. Otherwise, who knows why some live and others die---just more hardy.

Dr.FuManchu
01/27/2007, 10:39 PM
There is no need to buffer your ro/di water. When you mix with salt for a water change it takes care of the PH. As for topoff it isnt needed either since you are just replacing evap. This is per Randy Holmes Farley in the Reef Chemistry section. Check it out.

Colin
01/28/2007, 07:42 AM
IIRC, pH tests on RO/DI water are inaccurate (too pure). You'd be better off testing the pH on your mixed saltwater.

--Colin