PDA

View Full Version : First time setup question

Allin14
01/27/2007, 12:52 PM
I am new to the Nano tank, I have a 60 gal reef right now but I just bought a 12gal Nano Cube Dx today and I am not sure what is best to put in the back filtration area. I would appreciate any help. Thank You!!

montanabay
01/27/2007, 01:07 PM
remove everything but the pump

chamber 1: chemi-pure, purigen, filterfloss (put the filterfloss on top)

chamber 2: Live rock rubble (fill it right up!)

chamber 3: Pump and heater

YellowDesmo998
01/27/2007, 02:44 PM
I would put the LR rubble in a 1000 micron bag to make it easier to clean the poo and such that will get past the floss. Just my opinion of course.

Also be sure to toss the floss at least once a week. I do it twice a week and the floss comes out stinking pretty bad even at that frequency.

Illuminati
01/27/2007, 02:44 PM
Ditto to what montana said, just replace the filter floss weekly when you do waterchanges.

I personally have chemi-pure in chamber 1 and purigen in chamber 2 and no rubble in the back but there is more than one way to set these up.

Good luck.

montanabay
01/27/2007, 03:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9089519#post9089519 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by YellowDesmo998
I would put the LR rubble in a 1000 micron bag to make it easier to clean the poo and such that will get past the floss.

this is a good idea, never thought to try that, but soon will!

Cheers,

Josh

Allin14
01/27/2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks for all the help guys!!! Hope everything goes well

alexf23
01/28/2007, 08:15 PM
so the way the tank comes setup would not work? with the sponge in the first and in the second the carbon and rings bag along with bio balls.

Illuminati
01/28/2007, 09:33 PM
alex-

I can work for fish only systems but if you want to keep corals it is best to ditch the media.

The only reason the bioballs and rings are in there is so good bacteria gets stuck to them and they basically turn into "fake" live rock. Eventually the media will collect detrius (waste or food) start to rot and produce nitrates. If you just use plain live rock you don't have that problem.
Same with the sponge, if you can clean it really good weekly then you can use it, most people however prefer to use filter floss, just use it and throw it out.

If you want to see a good before and after of the stock media check out the tank here:

With the filter media:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1024488

Without:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1030656

Million times better :)

Here's a good thread with a handful of others that have the 24 gallon nano. Check it out sometime and if you have any questions feel free to join in, lot's of people willing to help out.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=999069

alexf23
01/28/2007, 10:48 PM
Ok, I am buying into this, one more question. this filter floss any particular brand or is true that wallmart pillow stuffing would work?

Illuminati
01/28/2007, 11:47 PM
I first bought the filter floss off Dr. Foster and Smiths website and am currently using the walmart pillow stuffing. The Walmart pillow stuffing will work just make sure it isn't "Flame Retardant" since that probably means it's chemically coated.

The brand I have is called something like morning glory....

alexf23
01/29/2007, 12:07 AM
Cool will buy morning glory... LOL one last question on my tank mod, the lighthing situation, would the light that comes with nano be suficient or do I need to change it? if so can I just replace bulbs without having to get a new custom hood, that would become pretty expensive. and thanks for the help !

Illuminati
01/29/2007, 12:18 AM
As long as you stick to softies, zoa's, rics and some LPS you should be fine. Avoid the colorful (and expensive) micro's, I had one and it looked like crap under the stock lighting. Another thing to avoid are gorgonians, they are mainly photosynthetic, I tried twice to keep them, didn't work until I upgraded my lights.

I went about 8 months with the stock lighting and then bought a new hood at www.nanotuners.com
I got the 108W version.

This is a great way to go, you can start your tank and make sure you like it and want to continue before spending a lot of money on more lights.

alexf23
01/29/2007, 01:26 AM
Ok I lied, there are more questions, during cycling period is it necessary to turn the light on in the tank, if so fow how long? after cycling period is over how long do the light need to be on a day? and also does the moon light on the tanks do anything or is it just for show, if it does serve a purpose how long does it need to be on? and lasty (LOL) do you guys add any chemicals to your water, I normaly buy salt water (supposed to be directly from the ocean according to the aquarium) but I have read some places talking about adding: "calcium, strontium, iodine, and trace elements" to the water. Thanks again

Illuminati
01/29/2007, 09:31 AM
yeah I ran my lights while the cycle, about 8 hours a day. I now have them on 10 hours a day but some people do more (12) and less (8). Not sure that there is a perfect number.

Golden rule #1 is don't dose anything that you don't test for. Weekly water changes replenish most trace elements but I use Reef Crystals salt mix and make my own saltwater.

alexf23
01/29/2007, 10:25 AM
how about the moon light feature that the nano 24g comes with , is that just for show? or does actually have a purpose?

montanabay
01/29/2007, 11:40 AM
show, they look good at night

but if you have corals in your tank you will need to replace the PCs (the bright main lights) every 6-8months.

cheers,

josh