PDA

View Full Version : No Trigger fish> huma huma?

lowcountry1
01/27/2007, 12:21 AM
trigger fish in a nano? flame on...

Dakafall
01/27/2007, 12:32 AM
i'm really confused as to what you're getting at, but no, triggers arn't sutible for a nano and that's putting it lightly

sir_dudeguy
01/27/2007, 01:58 AM
daka...why not? I mean come on...you can keep a dog in a kennel for its whole life. It will live for quite a while too as long as you feed it and hose it down every now and then :)

In case no one caught the sarcasm, i was JUST KIDDING! :)

But seriously...why even try putting a trigger in a nano? For one, if you're thinking about doing this for your 12...they're bigger than the tank itself!

If you arent considering a trigger, then i have absolutely no clue where you were going with this.

And like daka said, that is putting it really really lightly

nsreefer
01/27/2007, 08:27 AM
Sounds like someone's trolling.

lowcountry1
01/27/2007, 08:54 AM
Well common sense told me after reading a bunch of posts that trigger fish are not suitable for nano's but I asked anyway and half expected to get ripped for it. Trolling? maybe just a little...thanks for the responses though!

lowcountry1
01/27/2007, 08:58 AM
wait, let me reprhase that...I have not seen triggers mentioned in any posts related to nano's. So, the lack of discussion about them led me to believe they are not suitable. I did have one in a plain 10 gal tank about 10 years ago. I knew nothing about the hobby then(still a beginner) so just by dumb luck it lived. Eventually I moved and gave it to the fish store.

LittlePuff
01/27/2007, 10:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9087022#post9087022 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nsreefer
Sounds like someone's trolling.

Yeah, the "flame on" phrase tells us that.:rolleyes:

Rosseau
01/27/2007, 05:04 PM
my LFS has a few nice mandarins in right now, and have been for almost a month now.. Ive watched them feed.....

very tempting to try.... i'll get flamed up for that. although it has/can be done.

YellowDesmo998
01/27/2007, 05:45 PM
IMO a small Picasso wouldn't be bad. In most cases the conditions in the LFS are worse then anything we can dish out. Just be prepared to trade it to a LFS in 6 months to a year.

I don't see anything wrong with housing a juvenile trigger, tang, etc for a while to enjoy its beauty. Just be ready to get it out after a short period of time.

nsreefer
01/27/2007, 06:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9090582#post9090582 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by YellowDesmo998
. In most cases the conditions in the LFS are worse then anything we can dish out.
I

"The breeder beats it's dogs, so it's okay for me to."

YellowDesmo998
01/27/2007, 06:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9090763#post9090763 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nsreefer
"The breeder beats it's dogs, so it's okay for me to."

:rolleyes:

The two post you've contributed to this thread have added zero value. If you have an opinion, try to step above third grade English and post a valid point.

It looks to me that you're the troll trying to bloat your post count.

Doglover_50
01/27/2007, 06:36 PM
my mandarin in my 70g eats the frozen food, but I'd still not recommend one for a nano.
as for trigger, but especially tang, I've read that even small tangs need lots of swimming room, so it's not so much the size of the fish as available space for them to roam.

lowcountry1
01/27/2007, 09:21 PM
Good info...I traded my maroon clown in today for a young oscellorus(sp?) clown. The reason was that the maroon was getting too big too fast for my 12 gal ap. I am trying to be very conscientious and move forward slowly so that I get it right. Its tough because just today the guy almost talked me in to buying a gramma? It was purple halfway back then yellow...beautiful fish and would add lots of color but I dont have the confidence that it is in the best interest of my tank.

Oh, my maroon was eating flake food and so far this new clown acts hungry but will not eat the flakes. Maybe because its still the first day? I didnt even think to ask what the fish store has been feedin him...Any suggestions/opinions?

This site is awesome!

Doglover_50
01/27/2007, 09:46 PM
i had one osc. clown in my jbj 12g for about 6 months, took a risk and added another--and they are getting along (the alternative is--they fight possibly to the death!).
the osc. clown is one of the most bulletproof salt fish you can have--that was a good trade out--the maroons get to big for a 12.
don't worry about him eating---probably just day 1 jitters. If he still isn't eating in about 3 days, then it's time to worry.
A few things here--first, yes it's probably just transition. Second, if he doesn't eat the flakes by about 36-48 hours, get some frozen food. If you have petsmart, they sell them--get marine cuisine or emerald entree OR brine shrimp. Third issue---since marine fish eat varied foods in nature, best to do the same. In my case, I provide limited variety by feeding flakes in the a.m. when I am rushing to work; then frozen food at night, and I have a few different types of frozen foods. In my nano, I actually hand feed my clowns a few at a time (frozen beings)---don't want to overfeed the small tank.
Also--he was trying to sell you likely a royal gramma---I have one, but in a larger tank. I'd worry about a gramma AND a clown in the same 12g tank--possibly too small for territories. Clowns are pretty aggressive, so check what other people include. For me, 2 clowns plus one yellow clown goby (which got a bit beaten up at first, but now they are all okay).

lowcountry1
01/27/2007, 09:54 PM
Royal Gramma...thats it. I am going to get some frozen food to supplement and vary the diet. I will enjoy feeding him something different anyway. I believe I will go with a Goby or Blenny eventually. Do you have to do water changes more often having the 3 fish?

sir_dudeguy
01/27/2007, 11:34 PM
In most cases the conditions in the LFS are worse then anything we can dish out.

dude, most of the fish are there for a very short time. Its not like they live there long period (in most cases. Yes, i realize perfectly well that there are some fish that are there every time you go...but im talkin about in general here).

Just be prepared to trade it to a LFS in 6 months to a year

wait...i thought you just said that the lfs is worse than any of us could dish out...

and i agree w/doglover on the gramma.. I wouldnt put one in less than a 24

kingfisher62
01/28/2007, 12:13 AM
As a fish keeper we have a responsibility to give our healthy conditions ! Puttin a trigger in a nano is like making you live in a closest ,it is just not healthy ! Not to mention triggers are extremely dirty fish and will probably screw up you water quality in no time !

billr
01/28/2007, 12:17 AM
Triggers and nanos is crazy man........