PDA

View Full Version : cleaning my tank

3fins
01/26/2007, 07:48 AM
OOooooooooooooooOOoooOk now, i have 20.00 and i havnt had anything to clean my tank(chemical wise) and i need somthing for the algea blooms and water ( so its clear) and tank safe for inverts and fish and 2 anenm.

dendro982
01/26/2007, 10:07 AM
Mmmm, can you rephrase the question? Do you have a water they require cleaning, or it's already very clean and needs just the polishing; what algae do you have - pictures will help; chemical cleaning- what are you using for filtration now?

- Usually mechanical filtration, like filter floss, collects the larger particles, that should be removed, preferably every 3 days or less (personal opinion, of course);
- fine mechanical filtration, like micron pad (100, 50 or even less micron), collects particles of this size - I'm using this in my Nano-Cube 6g for one night after cleaning the tank, then remove (it's washable and reusable);
- protein skimmer can be used in Cubes too - didn't tried this;

- chemical filtration:
-- activated carbon, small portions, changed frequently are better, than a large bag, kept for 2 weeks;
-- Chemi-Pure - all recommed this, never tried, because had finish my Purigen - nitrate waste adsorbing resin;
-- if you have high phosphates - phosphate removers, I'm using now Kent Phosphate Sponge for phosphates and silicates, but iron-based, like RowaPhos are generally considered better, never tried, can't say;
-- if you have high nitrates - water changes or/and refugium in the middle chamber, if you have some space for a lamp behind the tank (can give links to DIY illustrated tutorial, if you wish); another option - use white xenia inside the tank - it will consume dissolved organic matter, clean your water a little, and looks very good.

There are also:
- water clarifiers, like Seachem Clarity, which clumps small particles, so they can be removed by fine mechanical filter;
- red slime removers, like Ultralife Red Slime Remover, and other treatments for particular causes.