PDA

View Full Version : Drilling a glass tank

marlomackay
07/29/2002, 12:45 PM
Does anyone know of a place I can get a glass tank drilled?

deucejimmo
07/29/2002, 06:21 PM
I know that jensalt can drill tanks and most of the glass places around can also .

Shooter
08/04/2002, 07:31 PM
I found that when I was trying to get my 100 gal drilled, none of the glass shops that I called would touch it. They said that they would drill the piece of glass, but not while it was a piece of the aquarium. I ended getting DIY instructions from the only glass shop that would have done it except his drill was broken. He said to use a new hole saw (normal wood) and some carbonium (sp?). He gave me the carbonium (grit) and said to make a dam around the area I would be drilling (I used a thick bead of silicon), use more water than carbonium and try to hold the drill as still as possible. I actually have an old drill press that worked great. It took about 40 minutes of drilling very carefully but it worked and I didn't even break the glass, lol. This was kind of a last ditch effort to drill my tank and I'm glad I didn't break it, but if you don't have any other choice and feel lucky, here ya go!

kgross
08/05/2002, 10:20 PM
As long as the glass is not tempered it is pretty easy to drill. I charge $10 for drilling a hole.

Kim