PDA

View Full Version : LOGO for SWFMAS

wiszmaster
01/25/2007, 10:37 AM
LOGOs for SWFMAS are NOW accepted ... :)

someone come up with a logo!

keinreis
01/25/2007, 10:41 AM
funny is I am actually working on it. I had a nice one along time ago, but lost the file.

Hobster
01/25/2007, 11:55 AM
Why?

What defines a "society"? Don't we actually need more than 4 or 5 members or have a clubhouse or something?:)

How about a mascot?

I'll collect the monthly dues.
I accept pay pal and cash.:D

wiszmaster
01/26/2007, 11:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9070156#post9070156 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keinreis
I am actually working on it.

update?

coralfarmer84
01/26/2007, 10:17 PM
Marco are you the president of this club or want to be? You seem to be the only one getting the ball rolling, and now's the time, we i notice at least 5 plus people starting to post regularly in this forum lately. If you need help let me know I'll do my best

wiszmaster
01/26/2007, 10:35 PM
am I ? No ... sh!t .. is this even a club? doubtful ... not sure ... never checked ...

maybe i shoudl ask the mods to start a new subforum "WMAS" - Wiszmasters Marine Aquatic Sosciety ;-)

no seriously .. i'd like to start something again ... and apparently i am the only one really trying to make an effort.... we've had a few people voicing their interest in some sort of show-off meetings .. which is cool with me! I'd love to go see a new tank every month, few weeks - and meet wih people locally, get to hear their stories about disaster, fortune, luck with certain coral/fish ... their tricks, or ways of doing things - or simply to check out their equipment!

I've already offered we could be @ my house.
You've offered yoru store to meet.
I believe scott said it would be cool with him as well ... and few more said they'd come.

I have not spoken to rich @ boardroom aquatics abotu this yet - btu he did mention that he used to run a clob & great success & turn outs.

Everytime i walk into ANY of the local stores, there are a few people that have large tanks 100g or more that i've never seen on here - and i'm sure would love to do the same - if they knew about it.

Either way .. i've registered the domain www.SWFMAS.com - an am hosting it ... check it out ... register on it.

It has the following Features:
Gallery - Image Hosting (FREE)
Local Forum

I'd like to add a few more features:
Local Fish Store Directory
Aquarium Maintenance
Fish Sitter Directory
Product Reviews - BY MEMBERS!

etc..etc..

check out the website ... let me know what you think ... if you have any ideas, or want to come up with a design - FEEL FREE! let me know, and we'll get it done ... whats up is what i di myself so far ... nobody has chimed in on it ... BUT PLEASE DO!

wiszmaster
01/26/2007, 11:14 PM
I remember i met hobster @ boardroom once & we got chatting about additives & dosing kalk/calcium ... he mentioned that he used Dr. Randy Holmes-Farleys recepie.

Now i've read through some of his articles, i've seen the recepie ... but wouldn't it be nice to have a meet, and roy (hobster) brings some small samples of the raw ingredients, tells where he got them from, tells which substitude ingredients NOT to use ... and we make some, and i bet a few users would even buy some of the finished products from roy .. or the ingredients.

i believe roy said he had bulk of the ingredients?

tsmonrad
01/28/2007, 06:26 AM
I am in Estero and new to the hobby. I would like to get involved and learn as much as I can.

wiszmaster
01/28/2007, 11:40 AM
Welcome!

I'm in SCP myself. is yours a 29g biocube? Lisafl has one as well.

tsmonrad
01/28/2007, 05:49 PM
yes it is a 29g biocube- new set up (1 month).
I just moved out of the park and into Bella Terra- 4 months ago. I have been working the the guys at ocean environments. They have been incredible and helpful and so far it has been a great experience.
Put my first corals in today.

wiszmaster
01/28/2007, 06:16 PM
awesome! get some pictures up. Lisafl has a 29g biocube as well.

one of her ballasts went out last week, but a new one is en route.

How are your temps holding up in the tank? if you don't, i'd suggest monitoring them. I ended up having to drill the top of her tank & place a fan in it - the temps in her tank were just creeping up.

wiszmaster
01/28/2007, 06:17 PM
Pictures of lisas biocube:
http://swfmas.com/v/users/Lisa+Prechel

tsmonrad
01/28/2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the info and Lisa's pics look great.
My temps have been holding around 76-78 consistently- I will make sure I continue to track daily.
I will get some pics up soon.

tsmonrad
01/29/2007, 08:07 PM
loaded pics tonight of the first corals I added. I am open for advice.....
http://www.swfmas.com/v/users/tmonrad/

coralfarmer84
01/29/2007, 08:37 PM
tank looks very nice... you'll def need some more liverock in there, its ok to add little chunks here and there but in a biocube or other small setup liverock is your best source for biological filtration so the sooner you get it in there the better. If your looking for some liverock thats got decent coraline coverage and unique shapes I have lots of premium indo rock at the store.

I like the fact that you have 2 cleaner shrimp as they are fantastic creatures for parasite control. Keep up the good work

wiszmaster
01/29/2007, 10:41 PM
sweet! yes, get some more rock in there!

do you use the bio balls in the back chamber? i took them out of lisas tank & placed a bunch of liverock rubble in there .... the more the better.

tsmonrad
01/30/2007, 05:56 AM
thanks guys- currently I have about 25 pounds of LR- and agree I can use some more. Yes- I am currenlty using the bio-balls, I have read a lot of controversy over them and didnt want to do something until I had all of the facts. Some say use them others say to get rid of them.
Thanks Again.

coralfarmer84
01/30/2007, 10:49 AM
they aren't a bad thing, they are just slowly going out of style, sorta like the undergravel filters of the past. See a bioball is just a piece of media (much like liverock) that is designed for max surface area to allow bacteria to colonize. Then the bacteria break down ammonia and turn them to nitrate. Liverock does the same thing except the bacteria is completely submersed as opposed to water trickling over it. This is better because if you have a long power failure all the bacteria on the now dry bioballs dies, and causes a spike in ammonia which your liverock then has to work overtime to turn to nitrate which all in all is not good for your tank. But bioballs are not a bad thing and you don't have to tear them out yesterday to have a successful tank. Just keep reading and decide what you like best.

tsmonrad
01/30/2007, 07:16 PM
That sounds like a plan- If I were to put liverock in place of the bioballs, do you slowly phase it- take a few of the balls out and replace with rock gradually over the course of a few days?
I just looked at your gallery photos and your tank is incredible!

wiszmaster
01/30/2007, 07:22 PM
if it were me, i'd just replace them all at once - otherwise you'll end up making a mess ... that back chamber is small as it is.

just make sure that once you plac liverock in that back chamber - you keep the rock covered with water ... lisa keeps her water ABOVE the top line .. to make sure the LR is covered ...

do you still use that carbon/filterpad filter that slides in? lisa doesn't .. it restricts the flow too much & makes the water overflow to the back of the tank/filter chambers.

tsmonrad
01/30/2007, 07:28 PM
no- for some reason the pad that came with my set up never slid into place. So I had it just leaning against the back wall which the current moves it around and I found it wasnt being very effective. When I did put it in place it restricted flow as well. Currenlty it is not in place- I was wondering if I should replace it with a course filter pad?

Hobster
01/31/2007, 04:27 PM
Bioballs are OK in filters for fish only tanks. Since the bacteria is exposed to oxygen they are not very good at converting Nitrates. That's why they are called "nitrate factories" they are very good at what they do(breaking down ammonia to Nitrite, but for most corals nitrates are not a good thing. Nitrate will also help the fuel unwanted algae growth.

The live rock serves to denitification deep inside (anaerobic) (without O2) the rock.

And wow this thread title has gone by the wayside.:lol:

keinreis
01/31/2007, 04:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9125958#post9125958 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hobster
Bioballs are OK in filters for fish only tanks. Since the bacteria is exposed to oxygen they are not very good at converting Nitrates. That's why they are called "nitrate factories" they are very good at what they do(breaking down ammonia to Nitrite, but for most corals nitrates are not a good thing. Nitrate will also help the fuel unwanted algae growth.

The live rock serves to denitification deep inside (anaerobic) (without O2) the rock.

And wow this thread title has gone by the wayside.:lol:

standard for this fourm! we all must have add

wiszmaster
01/31/2007, 04:34 PM
sure has ... wish we had a logo ... :-(

keinreis
01/31/2007, 04:59 PM
you want a logo

HERE!

SWFLMAS

wiszmaster
01/31/2007, 05:09 PM
where did the L come from? ;-)

deschlayer
01/31/2007, 05:42 PM
FLorida

keinreis
01/31/2007, 06:04 PM
see I was sooo creative on that one I added an L

Hobster
01/31/2007, 07:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9126727#post9126727 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keinreis
see I was sooo creative on that one I added an L

That is a real work of art:rolleyes:

Hey, My father in law is a really talented commercial artist for an old fart. He does logos and stuff all the time. If you give me ideas I will send them to him.

SWFMAS super imposed over a pic of a coral or local fish or whatever

keinreis
01/31/2007, 07:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9127335#post9127335 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hobster

Hey, My father in law is a really talented commercial artist for an old fart. He does logos and stuff all the time. If you give me ideas I will send them to him.

Yea do it marco! this talented commercial artist is way tooo lazy!

Hobster
01/31/2007, 07:33 PM
Your avitar states "director" not "are- teast"

Get creating then.:lol:

keinreis
01/31/2007, 07:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9127451#post9127451 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hobster
Your avitar states "director" not "are- teast"

Get creating then.:lol:

I graduated I suppose! LOL basically CREATIVE DIRECTOR = ART DIRECTOR = guy who gets stuck doing all the art for the comany,

tsmonrad
01/31/2007, 07:37 PM
here is an original thought- copy the RC logo.

And does anyone have some live rock rubble I can have to replace my balls?

keinreis
01/31/2007, 07:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9127485#post9127485 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tsmonrad
here is an original thought- copy the RC logo.

And does anyone have some live rock rubble I can have to replace my balls?

4 months ago I would have!

wiszmaster
01/31/2007, 08:09 PM
no, but i need some as well ... i reay want to add sme more small liverock rubble to my fuge ... i know ryan down @ saltwater has ALOT of small rubble that would be perfect for my application .. he had that stuff in his LR curing bins.

wiszmaster
01/31/2007, 08:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9127335#post9127335 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hobster

i've kind of taking aliking to the following picture .. nto sure if its practical or not

http://swfmas.com/gallery2/d/1931-1/tubbataha+reef.jpg

would be cool to fade the blue on the right into a blue background to the right of that picture where it would then say the 'SWFMAS" and maybe a slogan ?

just an idea

deschlayer
01/31/2007, 09:14 PM
ok i made it but i dont know how to post a pic

deschlayer
01/31/2007, 09:17 PM
here i posted it on the other site the words are a joke but i have to file in Photoshop cs so i can change the slogan
http://www.swfmas.com/v/users/Deschlayer/logojoke.jpg.html

deschlayer
01/31/2007, 09:18 PM
I got rid of the diver cause i dont like him

wiszmaster
01/31/2007, 09:20 PM
http://www.swfmas.com/gallery2/d/2138-2/logojoke.jpg

nice.

tsmonrad
01/31/2007, 09:24 PM
that looks cool-

Marco- who is "ryan at saltwater" sorry I dont know who/were that is.

wiszmaster
01/31/2007, 09:27 PM
ryan = Coralfarmer84 = owner of Saltwater Solution in Naples

tsmonrad
01/31/2007, 09:30 PM
excellent. thanks I will check him out tomorrow- it is on my way home from work.

wiszmaster
01/31/2007, 09:31 PM
he just got restocked tonight .. i'll have to see if i can stop by the store tomorrow as well .. ... eventhoguh i'm broke & i won't be buying anything

keinreis
02/01/2007, 07:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9128364#post9128364 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wiszmaster
http://www.swfmas.com/gallery2/d/2138-2/logojoke.jpg

nice.

I always try staying away from using others photos for logos. I have seen many times it lead to problems. Unless you get approval first I would run away from using that picture! I know it is only for a non existent fish tank club, but you never know who took that picture, and you would be supprised about how many times this happens and the person gets real p!ssed.

wiszmaster
02/01/2007, 08:15 AM
yeah.

keinreis
02/01/2007, 09:00 AM
I will see if I can manage to work somethign up today. no promises though as I have alot of other things to do also.

deschlayer
02/01/2007, 09:47 AM
I will bust one out as well

Hobster
02/01/2007, 09:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9127485#post9127485 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tsmonrad
[
And does anyone have some live rock rubble I can have to replace my balls? [/B]

Don't you need a Medical degree to do that?. Seems like it would be uncomfortable.:lol:

keinreis
02/01/2007, 11:23 AM
http://www.swfmas.com/gallery2/d/2150-2/swfmas.jpg

deschlayer
02/01/2007, 12:07 PM
/\ /\ Uber logo master

deschlayer
02/01/2007, 12:10 PM
Can you take it off any sweat jumps?
that looks sick! good job

Hobster
02/01/2007, 12:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9132023#post9132023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keinreis
http://www.swfmas.com/gallery2/d/2150-2/swfmas.jpg

Nice.:thumbsup:

wiszmaster
02/01/2007, 01:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9132442#post9132442 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hobster
Nice.:thumbsup:

!!!

coralfarmer84
02/01/2007, 11:05 PM
you guys are doing a wonderful job.
i was thinking if we are going to have a real club we need to have a meeting, see where everyone stands education wise and then talk about what people would like to learn and so on

example: fragging, catching unwanted fish, removing parasites or mantis shrimp... etc etc etc.

wiszmaster
02/01/2007, 11:09 PM
yeah ... flatworms !

tsmonrad
02/02/2007, 06:42 PM
EXCELLENT job, very well done.

coralfarmer84
02/02/2007, 09:52 PM
I'd like to give a speech on why not to buy frags online. Two of the frags we got are now completely dead, the one we didn't split, and the blue with teal tips or something like that. Both are completely RTN'd

tsmonrad
02/02/2007, 09:57 PM
I am up to learn as much as possible, set a date.

tsmonrad
02/03/2007, 08:07 PM
coralfarmer- thanks again for all of your help the past few days.