PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, I want in!

Satchmo
07/29/2002, 09:55 AM
Hello everyone. I just came across this NJ Reefers club, and got very excited :) Looks like I just missed a meeting. Do you guys typically meet every month? I'd love to attend the next one, is it open to everyone?

Anyway, a little background- I'm 25 years old and have been keeping FW fish since I was about 10. My first reef is a 10g nano, which has been up and running for a few months. It's slowly getting stocked, and I should have some frags to trade if there's another meeting towards the end of the summer. The current occupants include GSP, xenia, pink capnella, yellow polyps, branching frogspawn (that's ready for fragging now), caulastrea (ditto), and some metallic green hairy shrooms.

Let me know how this whole thing works, I'd love to get invloved.

BORECKI
07/29/2002, 08:28 PM
Welcome
We have no standards here at our club:D (Hey they let ME in!)
Just keep an eye at this board for info about the next meeting.
Boris.

Rovert
07/29/2002, 08:46 PM
Satchmo, welcome! Ditto the comments by Boris, we're real easy. No dues, no hassles, no politics. Just meeting at our own homes, hanging out, and havin' fun.

Hey, you a Jazz fan?

katspaw
07/30/2002, 06:52 AM
Satchmo,
Boris and Rovert pretty much covered the rules of being a club member. :D You are more than welcome to join in on any meeting you wish to attend. Just inform the Host when he announces the date and then show up. A thread will show up a few days before the meeting for trades being offered. Welcome to our little club.

Tracey

Satchmo
07/30/2002, 10:43 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome. I hope I can meet your high standards :D

Rovert- yes, I am a jazz fan, how did you guess? ;)
I'm a quasi-professional trumpet player, been playing for about 15 years. I've played in several jazz ensembles, but now do mostly fill-in and studio work for some local bands.

Thanks again, and I look forward to meeting you all.

Rovert
08/01/2002, 06:30 PM
Satchmo, anyone who's even remotely close to being a self-respecting cat is familiar with Pops' pseudonyms. I'm always interested in exlporing more about the art. I tend to be something of a traditionalist. Not much into the newfangled stuff, but always willing to give a listen.

Email me if you want, so we can chew the fat some more, since we're WAY off topic on this one.

jimroth
08/01/2002, 11:14 PM
Hey Pops, you can come to the meetings, but bring some gage, okay? Or at least some Swiss Kriss.
Armstrong has long been my #1 fave, from the Hot Fives to the All Stars and beyond. Man, that's a <i>glissando!</i>

Satchmo
08/02/2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Rovert
Email me if you want, so we can chew the fat some more, since we're WAY off topic on this one.

Not sure this one had much of a topic to begin with :)

Wow, you guys sound like you're bigger fans than I am. Just a neat little story: my girlfriend and I got back from New Orleans a few weeks ago. We stayed at the St. Pierre in the Quarter, in the Louis Armstrong Suite. It's not as posh as it sounds, but it is the room he used to frequent. Anyway, they had a trumpet hanging on the wall, supposedly one of his. Well, I couldn't resist taking it down and playing a few bars (rather trying to- it was pretty beat up). Now I've got this great picture in my living room of me sitting at a desk, playing the horn, with a picture right above my head of Pops sitting at the same desk, doing the same thing. :bum:

katspaw
08/02/2002, 11:54 AM
You know my son is really into jazz also. He plays the trombone. He picked up a 1917 silver trombone last summer from a junk shop. Paid all of ten dollars for it. Turn out to be a Holton, I think. He sent it out to them ans the restored it. Now it looks beautiful. It says it is not for jazz though. He has his Conn for tha and the marching band at school. He normally comes with me when I make it to the meetings. Now he really won't be bored.

Tracey

Satchmo
08/02/2002, 12:26 PM
Sounds good Tracey. I marched myself in high school. I was in the Bergen County Cadets for a year as well. Look forward to meeting him. That's a nice find on that bone. A friend of mine found a Bach Strat trumpet at a garage sale, paid about $20. They're worth well over $2000.

BORECKI
08/02/2002, 07:34 PM
I never thought that this would be a subject, but I'm enjoying it:cool:
I was thinking of playing some ACDC or ZEP for the September meeting (A la Kennard) but I have some classic Jazz I can play instead:artist:
Boris.

Satchmo
08/02/2002, 09:28 PM
All three are great choices Boris! I love it all. In my CD collection, you'll find everything from Freddie Hubbard to Vivaldi to Tool.

katspaw
08/03/2002, 08:37 AM
Boris,
If you have a multi disc CD player, just stick a varity of different music in and hit the random button. I do this when we are having a party at our house. With the mixed group of friends and older greek family members, it keeps the peace. :D I have every thing from Mangoine to Bach, Goodman to the Doobie Brothers and Beatles to Aaron Carter :dance: Don't get many complaints this way.

Tracey