PDA

View Full Version : Can I use plexiglass to make tops for my tank?

max628
11/29/2000, 04:00 PM
I have an older 55 gal tank . I wanted to put glass tops on it to reduce evaporation. However its an odd size I guess because I cant find any that fit. I was wonering if I could use plexi or if it had to be real glass.

Snailman
11/29/2000, 08:24 PM
I made a tank lid out of acrylic for a 30 gallon tank once and it warped. :( I made glass lids for a 125 and it worked great. You can buy the plastic back pannel if you need rear cutouts. You can also buy the plastic hinges and handles. Then go to a glass shop and tell then what size 1/4" or 5/16" glass you want and ask for the edges to be ground off so they are not sharp. I built this hood for less than one would cost but I would have bought one if I could have found one that fit just because of the trouble. All of the 125 gallon lids that I could find were three section and I had a two section 125. We ended up selling the tank and my DIY lids went with it. :)

Doug
11/29/2000, 09:59 PM
Hi Max,

I agree with Snailman and would try to use glass also. I noticed that plexi turns colors after a while and scratches very easy when you clean algae off of it.

BTW, What kind of tank is it? I know that AGA still makes glass tops for the 55g that I have which is about 20+ years old. I have the standard size 55g which is 4ft long x 12 inches wide.

HTH

Doug

max628
11/30/2000, 08:32 AM
Dont have a clue to the brand. I believe its pretty old. There is no center brace, and the outside measurements are 48'x13' I tried the versa tops but they were at least a half inch too short front to back. Ive siliconed a piece of acrylic on for a center brace to hold up the two tops. I guess i will have one made. At least that way I can just have one long top. I bought the tank for 25 bucks but I wish now I would have bought a new one just because of this.