PDA

View Full Version : Corals on line

Reeferman247
01/24/2007, 09:07 PM
What is a good reputable place to buy corals on line. My LFS is very high priced.

Rosseau
01/24/2007, 09:21 PM
there are a few good dealers on the kazakhi ebay.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/aponline/55188.35OSCAR-NOMINATIONS-BORAT-SCRIPT.sff.jpg

but seriously.. I don't know.. unfortunately I can't have US corals shipped to me these days

Doglover_50
01/24/2007, 09:56 PM
in terms of big operations, marine depot and liveaquaria are both large, well regarded outfits that sell corals.

Illuminati
01/24/2007, 10:12 PM
I've ordered from www.fragglereef.com, www.ultimatefrags.com, www.sharkysreef.com and www.purecaptive.com with mixed results. My personal favorite is Pure Captive. Bryan who runs it is a great guy and if you are looking for something special send him an e-mail and see if he can track it down for you. He is supposed to update the site soon so keep checking it out.
Ultimatefrags has great looking things but they flat out don't look that great under our PC lighting, if you have MH I'd say give him a look. Fragglereef was good, got some very nice mushrooms from Miguel, shipping was quick.

Reeferman247
01/25/2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks colinadam you have been a great help with all my questions.

All Delight
01/25/2007, 11:54 AM
Are you looking for anything specific? LPS? SPS? Or just browsing and looking for anything nice?

Illuminati
01/25/2007, 12:40 PM
I forgot another good site I've bought from, www.sealifeflorida.com has great things for nano tanks. I bought some nice ricordia's from Ken. Shipping was fast and only $25 which is cheap for overnight.
Also got some Gorgs but I wouldn't suggest those unless you have a lot of light. I tried twice with stock lighting and lost both, I bought 2 from him and they are doing great.

InvaderJim
01/25/2007, 01:00 PM
The sealife website seems to be having a little trouble.

schnell76
01/25/2007, 01:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9071171#post9071171 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by colinadam
I forgot another good site I've bought from, www.sealifeflorida.com has great things for nano tanks. I bought some nice ricordia's from Ken. Shipping was fast and only $25 which is cheap for overnight.
Also got some Gorgs but I wouldn't suggest those unless you have a lot of light. I tried twice with stock lighting and lost both, I bought 2 from him and they are doing great.

I have ordered from Ken twice and am going to place another order here soon. Question about his Gorgs for you though. You said you tried with stock lighting twice and they did not make it, then you said the 2 you got from Ken are doing great. Is that with stock lighting in your 24 and are they doing good still? Also, which ones do you have? I am considering trying one, but was not sure how well they did with standard stock lighting in the nano cubes?

jacksonpt
01/25/2007, 01:02 PM
I've had good luck with liveaquaria.com, but overnight/next day shipping is a fortune. Check with local reefers, see if anyone is selling frags. That's by far the best way I've seen to get new corals. And for those of us with nanos, it's also very easy to find smaller frags and thus have more diversified tank.

schnell76
01/25/2007, 01:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9071355#post9071355 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by InvaderJim
The sealife website seems to be having a little trouble.

It does from time to time for some reason. If its slow I find it to be working fine when I try back a couple hours later. Not sure if they are updating when its slow or what?

InvaderJim
01/25/2007, 01:07 PM
Alright cool. There are some amazing ricordias there...I will defiantly be ordering some.

Illuminati
01/25/2007, 01:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9071359#post9071359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by schnell76
I have ordered from Ken twice and am going to place another order here soon. Question about his Gorgs for you though. You said you tried with stock lighting twice and they did not make it, then you said the 2 you got from Ken are doing great. Is that with stock lighting in your 24 and are they doing good still? Also, which ones do you have? I am considering trying one, but was not sure how well they did with standard stock lighting in the nano cubes?

I should have clarified. I just got an upgraded hood from nanotuners, the 108W version and these were bought right after I switched lights.

You can see them here:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/colinadam/FTS012007.jpg

I got the orange and the purple. The orange came as 2 little ones, the purple is one big one. I have them right in front getting a ton of flow, they are doing good. Both of these are the "nano" gorgs, he has bigger ones but I'm not sure I would want to get one much bigger in a nano.

I would try one and put it in a high flow area close to the lights. I also feed once a week with phyto (I have both Reef Chilli and Coral Frenzy). These just seem to be more hardy than the other 2 I tried before.

schnell76
01/25/2007, 01:20 PM
Ahh, makes sense now. I was concerned about them being in my 12/dx nano with stock lighting, but I think if I put them directly in the center they will be okay. How do you dose the reef chili? Do you have to squirt it at them or just into the tank.

Sorry, don't mean to hi-jack the thread.

Back on topic, some good ebay sellers I consistantly watch are:

mr.coral
old.diver (aka sealifeflorida)
reef-gardener
riptides_reef (riptidesreef.com)
zoafrags

I have bought from sealifeflorida and riptides reef and both are very good.

Illuminati
01/25/2007, 01:29 PM
I just put a little scoop of it (It comes with a little scooper) in a cup with tank water and take a turkey baster and shoot it at the gorgs with the pumps off.

There was a recent discussion about zoafrags from E-bay at www.club-zoa.com. Seem like a lot of people have gotten nice stuff from him.

Didn't know sealife was on E-bay, I'll have to check that out, thanks.

NYReef
02/14/2007, 07:37 AM
Zoafrags is shadier the a redwood tree in the summer. Buyer beware, you have been warned, now its on you.