PDA

View Full Version : Which skimmer for BC29: Tunze or Sapphire

oceandrops
01/24/2007, 09:05 PM
Hello,
Which skimmer is better for Oceanic BC29 : Tunze Nano DOC Skimmer 9002 or Sapphire NanoSkimmer BC29.
Any recomendations ?

Joshua Tree
01/24/2007, 10:55 PM
Just my opinion but since the increase in price of the Sapphire skimmers I would just go with the Tunze. I think it's only a $20-$30 difference. Tunze has been around for a long time and makes some quality, proven products. This is coming from someone who owns a Sapphire skimmer for my 24 gallon Aquapod. I'm not saying it doesn't do the job but the main reason I bought it was the price at the time before the increase. Also I like to support the small business guy, I think the guy who makes the Sapphires was a one man operation at one time.

oceandrops
01/24/2007, 11:08 PM
What was the price before the price increase, and when they change the price ?

cherubfish pair
01/24/2007, 11:48 PM
What is the website for the Sapphire skimmers?

oceandrops
01/24/2007, 11:54 PM
www.sapphireaquatics.com

gkelly
01/25/2007, 12:00 AM
I like my Sapphire pretty well. I chose it because it was cheaper and was designed specifically for this tank.

Unless they've changed it, getting the Tunze collection cup in there will require a small mod to the tank. I've seen it done by using a dremel tool and relieving some of the plastic so the cup will fit into chamber 2.

There was some mention of a smaller collection cup from Tunze, but I don't know if it's available or not.

Very hard to argue against Tunze - they rock - but overall I'm happy with the Sapphire.