PDA

View Full Version : what corals sell fastest?

ReefSharkDudeGuy
07/29/2002, 04:19 AM
I am going off to college and leaving my tank in the hands of my family, which I'm not too sure of. I'm thinking about turning it into a propogation tank where I will grow hardy corals that will grow and multiply quickly, so that I can later harvest them and sell them to local dealers or aquarists. I have 3 110 watt VHO's over my 55g. What hardy corals (LPS or softies) are in high demand that I can grow in my tank while I am gone and are easy to take care of? Rare zooanthids or mushrooms or something? Also, is it easier to propagate corals in a tank without fish and much of a bioload? I'm thinking about removing all of my fish. Thanks for your help.

Dash

Frick-n-Frags
07/29/2002, 08:13 AM
Ooooh deserting a reef carries a pretty stiff penalty.

Catch 22, the easy-2-grow hardy stuff isn't the expensive stuff.

Your amount of light probably wouldn't grow too many thing very fast. Pumping more energy and nutrients into a system makes it cook faster. The lower fishload should help maintain higher quality water.

sven
07/29/2002, 08:24 AM
With the conditions you have given, I would recommend mushrooms. They grow well and need less care than most corals. The limited lighting in your tank would be ok with them too. Less fish, better water quality.

ktwalker
07/29/2002, 04:48 PM
I think your light is just fine for soft coral propagation. I would go with a leather/mushroom farm. Toadstools, finger leathers, tree leathers, colts, and mushrooms for example.

LPS would still do fine in your tank, just not grow very fast if at all.

If I were doing propagation, I would definately get rid of the fish.

kris

EDIT: the good thing about a leather/mushroom tank is that it runs itself. No need to feed the tank anything, except perhaps some supplements every now and then (and making sure the calcium stays level).

ReefSharkDudeGuy
07/30/2002, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I think I'll make an attempt at a soft coral grow out tank. If I do this, should I leave one fish in to create some waste for the sand bed critters? Should I remove the anemone? Remove the shrimp? Will there be a need for snails and my sand sifting cucumber if the tank becomes nutrient poor from lack of leftover fish food and what not?

Would xenia, cespitularia, or anthelia do well in this tank? BTW, how much light DOES it take to get LPS corals like brains and galaxeas to grow at a good pace? Thanks again for the help.

Dash