PDA

View Full Version : What is the smallest nano out there?

JaneDoe
07/28/2002, 08:09 PM
I have been reading RC for some time now (just got the guts to post) and I was wondering what is the smallest nano out there.
Some of the 7 gallon bow fronts and 10 gallon nanos blow my mind!
A while ago I remember reading about a 1.5 gallon setup. Has anyone done something that small or the 1 gallon tanks you can find at Petco? Are tanks that size something one can actualy do?
I have a one gallon tank, and the supplies to do something with it. Should I even try or is this going beyond what any sane reef keeper should try? I have the time (have keep reef tanks for 6 years now) and the dedication.
Just wondering if it is something worth attempting.

yrureefing
07/28/2002, 08:16 PM
I have seen a nano that is 3/4 of a gallon.
Here is the link. It is the first one on the page.
http://www.nano-reef.com/members/valnano.htm

JaneDoe
07/28/2002, 08:45 PM
vrureefing-
Thanks for that link! It is amazing what can be done in the world of reef keeping!

Anyone else? :)

Kapelakin
07/28/2002, 08:53 PM
I say go for it, just keep it simple as possible, and plan on either an auto-topoff, or very frequent manual topoffs.

If you decide to do it, I'd love to see pics!

JaneDoe
07/28/2002, 09:02 PM
Kapelakin-
Thank you! I will be sure to post pic's and updates as I go along. I hope to have some good input here as well. :)

Pomacanthus1
07/28/2002, 11:11 PM
I remember someone who set up a nano in a vase, but can't remember who it was or how big it is.

Lunchbucket
07/29/2002, 12:52 AM
i suppose a dixie cup would be about the smallest. what can we consider a nano?? does it have to have certain criteria? cause i guess a thimble could be one. i am not trying to be a smart *** people i am just wondering? does it have to have corals??

Lunchbucket

yrureefing
07/29/2002, 07:05 AM
Here is a link to a thread were the owner of the 1.5g vase nano posted a couple of pics. Oh yeah, I agree with lunchbucket. A tank with live rock is still conidered a reef tank.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80976&highlight=1.5+nano

JaneDoe
07/29/2002, 03:16 PM
I wonder what is the criteria for a nano too. In my mind it has been live rock and creatures that are found on reefs in nature. As close of a replication of a reef eco-system as possible. For a nano it would just be a smaller verison I guess?
There are so many mixed coral tanks and the same thought could be applied there, are those really reefs? A bit off my thread ;) but worth it.

Good question to ponder.

Lunchbucket
07/29/2002, 05:18 PM
sorry didn't mean to throw this for a loop but i was curious. i suppose criteria would be maybe a snail, hermit, LR, sand....maybe about it????

Lunchbucket

brandon429
07/30/2002, 01:11 PM
;)

I like to think about what defines a nano reef. I'd say at the most elemental level it needs to be a saltwater environment with some form of base rock to mature. From that growth alone Id consider it a reef if fauna on the rock are able to reproduce. Thats just my opinion.

Secondly, I also like to consider if it actually has stand alone potential of any merit. I mean, if you have to change the water every two three days then I dont think its a very balanced environment. My bowl has been literally packed full of base rock and corals and I can currently go two weeks in between any water changes so that is stable enough for me. Based on the reefbowl model, I can now see that you can build a fully functional reef in a small mason jar (really) and it will definately live and get purpler with time like the big boys. Pics coming soon of reefbowl II, .5 gallon with six species of coral (softies)

The reefbowl is currently stocked to the max with good lr and the water displacement has lowered the water column down to .8 gallons, meaning when I do water changes I use an empty milk jug and it only fills it up just under the top (I change 100 percent)

And this is the general rule of the reefbowl design:

If you add clean good saltwater to any size container, add some lr, some sand, add a bubblestone for circulation and keep at 79 degrees it will live and support life right from the start with no cycling. Shine a high quality mini light on it (coralife mini might 9x2) and now you can have mushrooms and some others depending on your eye for dosing. Always consider the nitrogen output of your inhabitants: small shrimp and crabs are okay but fish are very very very harsh on a reefbowl, you have to change the water every 4-5 days. Id stay away from them and just go for coral diversity...

Then if you add your buffers/Ca+ couple times a week it gets purple like the others. Now I aint saying you dont need a purple thumb to make 'em work!! Small environments are meant for people who know the basics but I think basically anyone could keep a micro/nano reef

the most important skill for keeping a micro nano reef (<2g) is developing an eye for pH fluctuation in a given system. From that you can get a feel for carbonate binding rate/Ca+ consumption and other dosings and not need to test for them after a few initial runs. Good luck with your microreefs guys

I wanted to clarify for those I haven't met yet on this cool website that I dont use any filters or nutrient export for the reef bowl. By eliminating animals with excessive waste I eliminate the need for filtration and you can think of corals as the plants of the ocean, ie they have hardly any nitrogenous output and what they do make they resuse so its really just an optical illusion to think it might be unbalanced. LR surface area handles all initial ammonia from copes and shrimp, crabs etc and I get nitrate readings proportional to my food pellet input. Its neat to see a live chemical teeter totter in motion--your LR surface area is the fulcrum and anything you add that pees or eats (for lack of a better term) teeters the ammonia/nitrate level as and end result. Trick is, for a reef bowl you can never let it get too near the ground! see you guys, ps I just saw mermaid 123's nano and I really like it. Nice 3/4!!

b429

chess_wizard
07/30/2002, 01:30 PM
thats crazally awsome!

Hurley675
07/30/2002, 01:41 PM
:eek2: :eek1: WOW:eek1: :eek2:

JaneDoe
07/30/2002, 01:44 PM
:) Well said Brandon429!

You have an amazing micro! I hope you don't mind a quick question. If you were to estimate how much water you loose in an average day, what would it be?
Keep up the good work!

brandon429
07/30/2002, 02:56 PM
is one of the final control points I am still experimenting with...currently I use a tight fitting plastic lid fitted to the inner diameter of the bowl's lip. It is heat resistant and is not warped or stained by the intense lighting above it (got lucky they designed it so good) Currently it allows maybe 1/4 of water level drop per 4 days. Thats about as good as I can get it for now because I have to leave a pressure vent for the bubble pressure to escape from, and that inturn carries with it some evaporated water. I had a neat dream the other night about building a minor condensation unit that would scrub passing air of its water and drip it back into the system, leaving maybe 5-10 percent humidity in the evaporate hopefully yielding a 1/4 inch drop per two weeks! We'll see if it works...

b429

tyesmithND
07/30/2002, 08:23 PM
I only have one question that might seem a little off subject but

JaneDoe, if that is your real name, ;) why did you wait so long to post. Around here in Nano land we are all kind.

Welcome

JaneDoe
07/30/2002, 10:17 PM
Awww thanks for the welcome TyesmithND! :D
I never mind going off subject in a thread as long as it is worth it. Bless you & Lunchbucket 'cause both are worth it to me.

I've waited this long before posting because I have never used a BB forum and didn't want to appear like too much of a lame newbie! Even though I have been keeping reefs for years now. I'll get the hang of this and you won't be able to keep me away.

Thanks again!

kennerd
07/31/2002, 09:28 AM
I would have to say that longevity is the true measure of a nano tank. Anyone can put some sand, water & a few nice pieces of livestock into a pilsner glass and snap a pic. Brandon has certainly shown that a micor-reef can be maintained for a longer period of time. Kudos, kiddo!

Lunchbucket
07/31/2002, 11:45 PM
definately an amzing display w/ that reef bowl!! crazy crap man!

keep it up and make us nano'ers even better!
Lunchbucket

brandon429
08/02/2002, 10:40 AM
new micro nano coming this weekend...

crazier crap coming soon! ;)

lizbeth
08/02/2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by brandon429
new micro nano coming this weekend...

crazier crap coming soon! ;)

Looking forward to it. I kinda just started a 2 gallon......had to have a place to put the excess snails I bought (heck they were on SALE!).

kennerd
08/02/2002, 04:51 PM
I've got a JBJ 3/4 gal I've held off on for long enough! Nice telescoping 13watt PC light fixture.

brandon429
08/02/2002, 04:55 PM
and then set one up as a planted fw, they are neat and easy to do. You could take cuttings out of your show tank!

b429

kennerd
08/02/2002, 05:06 PM
Actually: I got it on clearance from an Internet MO place, and it wasn't the shape I wanted. Looking down from the top, it has two curved pieces of glass in a football shape: tough to put the extremely cool tiny japanese powerhead they supply in there for cross-flow. I really wanted the rectangle-shaped model.

The powerhead actually has a tiny foam filter pad in it.

Truth be told: I gave the tank to my wife as a gift after I received the wrong shape, and we were planning a planted tank for her office with flowering plants, given the open top. FW is obviously going to be a bit easier with temp management, etc. in a corporate office setting.

K

JaneDoe
08/02/2002, 09:20 PM
:D there will be many of us starting new micro tanks soon then! I just got my 1 gallon tank and will have my microjet by tomorrow I hope.
I will post pictures soon. As I hope everyone else does! I will be using the 13 watt PC as well.
Kennerd- What are the tiny Japanese powerheads you spoke of? I'm interested in see a pic or hearing more information. :)

kennerd
08/03/2002, 11:59 AM
OK, I pulled out the box: It is a Mr. Aqua Mini Dual Submersible Filter 60. manufactured by Ming Zen, Ltd. It is 4" longx1.5"widex1"deep. It's basically a mini Duetto-type filter: 2/3 of the actual size is a filter basket with a foam insert. Rateed at 60 liters per hour works out to about 15 gph, or roughly 20x turnover in this .75 gal tank.

I'm on our crappy old lap top @ homme, but will snap a picture and post it MOnday from the office.

JaneDoe
08/03/2002, 01:58 PM
Thanks! I am looking forward to having a look at it.

lizbeth
08/04/2002, 12:16 AM
I discovered a small filter, it's a ZooMed 304. It's a tiny powerhead with a filter attached also similar to the Duetto only smaller. It's rated at 30 to 55 gph. I'm going to look for it online, it was toooo expensive at Petco.

kennerd
08/04/2002, 09:47 AM
OK, finally got my computer to download pics from my camera. Here's a picture of the little pump I described: It is set on a 3.5x5 post-it (index card size) for reference

kennerd
08/04/2002, 09:50 AM
And another pic of it disassembled:

JaneDoe
08/04/2002, 04:41 PM
I never thought I would say this about a powerhead but here goes. How cute! You did say that the flow rate is adjustable right? I am gussing by a valve at the output?
That would be perfect for my 1 gallon nano-in-the-works. I have seen the mini zoomeds at our local stores also. Way too much here as well. :) Time to compare prices.
Thank you for the picutre!!

kennerd
08/04/2002, 09:19 PM
Actually, not adjustable, and it almost seems like a really cheap piece of plastic. Haven't run it in water yet, either.
like I said, it did come packaged with the JBJ Micro-Mini Aquarium, so you might be able to get some info from JBJ directly.

K