PDA

View Full Version : getting rid of huge algae

Doglover_50
01/23/2007, 03:06 PM
I just bought a 24 cube which has 30 pounds of live rock--currently in a bucket, room temp 74 degrees, cover is loosely on, and powerhead on.

Seller told me rocks have huge amount of algae (TRUE) but that it's just green algae, no problem algaes like hair or bubble (appears to be accurate).

I'm contemplating the dark covered bucket for 1 week to kill algae. Any other suggestions? I do have extra turbos and crabs I could acclimate from my show tank, as well, if I wanted to go on and put the rock back in the cube. Not sure what is most efficient. Thanks.

sir_dudeguy
01/23/2007, 03:09 PM
just add some cerith snails (like 10 or so) and make sure nitrates and phosphates are down and it'll get eaten up quickly by the ceriths. I personally dont like turbos...they never do anything for me. And crabs wont really eat the film alga like you have. The only stuff i've really seen crabs eat is hair alga and actual food.

Doglover_50
01/23/2007, 03:14 PM
Okay, 2nd question, sirdude. You are saying go on an put the rock in the tank with the new snails (and NOT put the snails in the current bucket o' rocks to clean before putting in the tank), right? Also, do you nassarius? I have mostly astrea, but also quite a few ceriths and nassarius.

sir_dudeguy
01/23/2007, 03:36 PM
well nassarius arent gonna help with the alga at all. They dont eat it. They get whatever gunk is in the sand (mostly meaty stuff and whatever might die)

and ya i'd just go ahead and put the rock in the tank how you want it now. Do a test in a day or so to make sure there are no spikes, and if its good, put in the snails.

And this rock in question is already cured/cycled right?

Doglover_50
01/23/2007, 03:39 PM
Oops--meant to type cerith, the wrong snail came out! Yes, the nano was established at prior sellers x many months, so it's all ready to go.

Now that I think about it (just posted on FRAG), I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell that rock! I'd like to clean it up though before I sell it.

sir_dudeguy
01/23/2007, 05:37 PM
i'm definately gonna check out that thread then! I need some

sir_dudeguy
01/23/2007, 05:43 PM
i dont see that thread you're talkin about....maybe you typed this before you actually made that thread? :)

Doglover_50
01/23/2007, 08:21 PM
you are correct! I didn't mention the LR in the other thread--it was the one titled something like multi purpose QT.

I don't know what the heck to do with this new cube, whether to use it for qt, or maybe a refugium. It's 24 gallon, so I'm thinking about drilling and plumbing it to my 70g tank, then figuring out how to sit it high as an elevated refugium. I really don't need another separate tank--already have too many!