PDA

View Full Version : Precision Advice. In sump Skimmer. Marine Bullet 1,Aqua C EV, Euro Reef, or CSS?

MarineGirl411
01/22/2007, 03:58 AM
Hi everyone. I'm currently looking around at new skimmers. As much as I'd love to have a Bubble King, H&S or Deltec, they are a little out of my price range. I'm looking to replace my Aqua C Remora Pro. This would be an in sump skimmer. 40 gallon mixed tank. So, what protein skimmers would you recommend? If any of these? Precision Marine Bullet 1? Aqua C EV or Euro Reef? I'm looking to the future as well with this, so I'm also just planning ahead when I get a bigger system. The total water volume is 62 gallons. Mixed Reef. Mainly LPS, some SPS, and clams. Lets count on a heavy bio load just for example. I need something that is quiet. I also need something that is fairly energy efficient. Let me know. Thank you all. Remora is pulling, but I'd really like an in sump skimmer. I need something pretty Quiet please. =) esp. since I live in an apartment and I can hear the Remora splish splashing around from the bedroom. I just have it hanging on my sump right now and that's why it's so loud. :eek: :(

MarineGirl411
01/22/2007, 04:00 AM
Oye, for the topic, I didn't mean to type Precision Advice. Sorry about that. I just need advice on the best skimmer for what I can afford. I meant Precision Marine Bullet 1. Sorry.

JC VT
01/22/2007, 04:49 PM
One thing about the beckett is that the output should be above water, so you would want to raise the skimmer on a platform a bit. This might cause some height problems if you are wanting to run it in sump underneath a stand.

I just fired up my beckett on a friend's tank to wet test it and it is dang near silent. I am using a Velocity T-3 to drive it. On paper it runs at 140 watts, but may be less due to the backpressure of the beckett.

Another choice would be the Tunze 9010, which is very energy efficient and quiet. It is also plug and play.

HTH

Goodwood
01/22/2007, 05:51 PM
Check out the Octopus Recirculating line, im a Deltec fan but man ive put 3 on friends tanks over the past month and wow they preform great but can me a bit noisy. For the money they are awsome.

MarineGirl411
01/22/2007, 08:51 PM
yah i need something quiet. So the output line would be noisey on the beckett? Euro Reef or Precision Marine? How high would I have to raise that Precision Marine Bullet 1?

JC VT
01/22/2007, 10:14 PM
The output line is silent if plumbed correctly. All you need is the gatevalve above water so that there is no back pressure on the beckett. You can run it below the water line but at the price of less effective skimming.

From reading your wish list the pros of the PM Bullet 1 is that it is upgradable simply by buying a bigger pump and will serve you up to a 150 gallon tank. If you buy a big enough pump at the start, you would not have to upgrade anything. Properly driven, it will give you greater skimming than the other skimmers you listed.

The cons are that the pump required to run it will suck some juice, and that most likely the pump will not be silent.

JC VT
01/22/2007, 10:18 PM
Also, the initial costs for an equally rated skimmer are generally much less for a beckett than for a needlwheel. The electricity and heat (and noise for some) many times seem to be the deciding factors for beckett users to jump ship to needlewheel.

MarineGirl411
01/23/2007, 03:04 AM
If I went with another Quiet One pump, it might be silent. I honestly don't know if they are good pumps though. My return pump won't restart sometimes. Ugh! I might swap it out for an ehiem. Or save my money until I can do things right. I really liked the option the Beckett gave as far as upgrading to a larger system someday. I could do it with that skimmer. The others I am not so sure. Also, I don't have a chiller for this tank, so I am not sure if adding a Sendra 900 would add a lot of heat. I know a mag drive does, because that's what I'm using now. It gets pretty warm. So, I'm just not sure. What do you think the cost break down would be from lets say a Euro Reef compared to the Bullet? Like 5 extra bucks a month? Maybe more? Thank you for your help. I always appreciate everyone's advice and help.

MarineGirl411
01/23/2007, 03:05 AM
I always do tons of research, but it seems to never be enough. =)