PDA

View Full Version : Pod eating fish for a 10g?

InvaderJim
01/21/2007, 11:36 PM
My tank is crawling with pods...some of which I discovered are eating one of my Zoa colonies so something needs to be done. What kind of pod eating fish can I put in my tank?

My tank has 15lbs of live rock or more, and the only fish is one True Percula Clown. I know Blennies are dragonets and my tank is much to small for them. Is a six-line about my only bet?

Frostyeel
01/21/2007, 11:40 PM
A possum wrasse would work perfectly and is more peaceful than a sixline, plus it moves slower so it would be fitting for the tank size. Only problem is they are harder to find and cost a bit more.

InvaderJim
01/21/2007, 11:44 PM
haha I'd say so. I can't say that I have ever even heard of one.

I just looked them up and that is a BEAUTIFUL fish. I wonder how much my LFS could get me one for.

hahnmeister
01/22/2007, 10:23 AM
A rainfordi or hector's goby would be a good choice for a 10g... better than a possum wrasse.

Or even a watchman goby.

Sk8r
01/22/2007, 10:33 AM
Blennies are not dragonets, nor vice versa. Scooter blennies are a dragonet, but their name is a popular misnomer. Dragonets tend to be exclusively pod eaters, and could totally clean out your tank in 2 days, then starve to death.

Don't try a rainford or hector's until your tank is about a year old. They're sand-sifters and depend on very, very fine sand and old tanks.

Your pod population will help keep algae down if you don't eliminate it: this is a good thing.

hahnmeister
01/22/2007, 10:40 AM
Rainfordi and Hectors are not sand sifters, nor are they algae eaters as some sites suggest. They are micropredators... part of the class of gobies known as hover gobies. They are very similar to smaller wrasses in their movements and feeding.

They never touch the sand though (unless going after a small pod in it). I have a school of them... well... more like a little flock that hangs out together (if you have ever seen schooling catfish... its something like that). If you have pods... they will be fine.