PDA

View Full Version : 5 1/2 gallon sump under a 20H?

GoodBorg3
01/21/2007, 12:54 PM
I'm trying to figure out a sump/fuge arrangement that will fit in the cabinet for my 20H nano. As a last resort, I can build something myself, but I'd rather use standard tanks.

I am thinking of a 5 1/2 gallon for the sump. I know this is a bit small (a 10 will not fit unless I do some extensive remodelling of the cabinet) but I will not be using a skimmer and my flow rate will be around 600 gph so I won't have a huge pump either. I would use a 2 1/2 gallon above the sump as a fuge. That would have a low flow rate using either a small powerhead in the sump to pump water up into it or I would plumb a line off the main return and control the flow with a ball valve. I would put a simple overflow pipe through the bottom of the fuge to return the fuge water to the sump.

I think this will work, but my concern is that a 5 1/2 gallon sump would not hold enough water to have a stable flow and keep the pump submerged. Any thoughts, advice or opinions? Thanks!

smketyr
01/21/2007, 01:22 PM
It would work, but you need to keep in mind for water top off. The sump is where you will notice the evaporation. With to flows coming into the sump, micro bubbles will also be a factor. HTH

GoodBorg3
01/22/2007, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. I'm thinking it would be better to put a 10g sump behind the cabinet and put a 5g fuge inside the cabinet. I was thinking that I could mount a common base (1/2 board) underneath the cabinet that extends out in the back enough to set the sump on. If I wanted to get fancy, I could put on side pieces on the left and right to partially hide the sump. The tank will most likely be going into a corner of the room at an angle as opposed to flat against a wall, so there should be room behind it without the sump being in full view. The cabinet (stand) BTW is one of the common pine setups with the two doors in the front. You see them at Petco and a lotta other places. It's painted black, so if I add anything to it I won't have to worry about trying to match the wood.