PDA

View Full Version : getting rid of hair algae.

stephen sykes
01/20/2007, 10:05 AM
whats the best way to get rid of hair algae? leave the lights off?? mine is just starting to grow.

InvaderJim
01/20/2007, 02:17 PM
I got some turbo snails and hermits, and my hair algae was gone in 3 days.

Brent Burton
01/21/2007, 01:27 AM
SEA HARES ARE AMAZING ALGAE EATERS. I BOUGHT ONE 3" SPECIMEN AND IT ENGULFED EVERY BIT OF HAIR ALGAE IN A COUPLE OF DAYS. OF COURSE HES ABOUT 5" NOW AND ALWAYS HUNGRY. MY TANK WAS BAD TOO, IT WAS BEFORE I STARTED USING RODI WATER.

azhunter
01/21/2007, 02:09 AM
I've got 4 "turbo" snails in my tank and they clean the grit off the hair algae and leave the hair behind. did i get the wrong kind of turbo snails (mexican black tubo snails i think) or did i get some with broken turbos!? what can i do besides turbo snails to get rid of hair algae? i've also got red slimy algae with bubbles in it and it spreads fairly quickly. ive heard different things on getting rid of it, but would like to hear from people who have also had this problem.
mike

DASKILTERLIVES
01/23/2007, 01:05 PM
Azhunter..
Get that circulation up!! ( big one!) Emphasize your protein skimming and try to vacuum off the deitrus In those spots where the red algae is growing..do your water changes, maintain that water quality as best you can. If you pull it out and it stinks, it's probably cynobacteria. Again, water flow is imperative. Deitrus won't have a chance to settle anywhere with a strong enough flow in the tank. Poly - Filters, and good carbon ( seachem for instance) have also helped me in the past .. Peace