PDA

View Full Version : Kalk drip or calcuim reactor

pledosophy
01/18/2007, 02:56 AM
I'm to the point where I need to do something to better regulate my calcuim level. I am considering a calcuim reactor, or dripping kalk. I have never done either. Curious as to your opinions on which is better.

Also is there an article I can read to explain the process, or can someone explain it for me.

Thanks.

The tank is a 20g with a 20g sump. Various SPS,LPS, and clams.

Paladin
01/18/2007, 12:30 PM
I drip kalkwasser. I would like to use a calcium reactor, but that would require a lot more money. For dripping kalk, I prepare a mixture with full concentration and use a Kent Aquadose to drip as top-off into my sump.

EdKruzel
01/18/2007, 12:41 PM
Ditto, it's so much easier on a nano than trying to find room for additional equipment.
It will take a few days of adjustments to figure out your evaporation rate, but mine was average of one drip every three to five seconds (depending on the time of the year) so I kept a steady drip 24/7.
My SPS growth was insane as well as my coralline; it coated everthing.

Paladin
01/18/2007, 12:48 PM
EdKruzel, how big is your tank? And do you clean your Dosing container and hose, because I haven't and it seems that my drip rate wouldn't stay consistent, probably because I have to clean out some calcium deposits through it. And do you use any 2-part calcium additive with your dripping, or are you strictly just dripping?

EdKruzel
01/18/2007, 12:59 PM
I recently emptied the tank in anticipation of a move, but all of my corals are being kept in a friend's tank.

It was a 20L with a 10gal sump. I cleaned the Kent Dosing container maybe once a month (flush with hot water).
Kalk was all I used, I don't like two part anything as I consider it a PITA, for tanks I don't drip or if I need to supplement, I use Aragamilk, much better than any two part solution.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/edkruzel/AguThingy.jpg

pledosophy
01/19/2007, 03:17 AM
Thank you much.