PDA

View Full Version : Need help Saturday moving Lori's tank

73ChargerFan
07/26/2002, 10:18 AM
I've agreed to purchase Lori's tank, and I need to move it from her Castro Valley home to Brentwood tomorrow (Saturday). If anyone is available that can help me move, I'd really appreciate it!

Her tank is glass, 5' long, about 130 gallons, with about 200 pounds of live rock and a 2" sand bed. It has a hang-on-the-back overflow, air powered skimmer, Quiet One return pump, and 300 watts of VHO & NO lighting. There are about a half a dozen corals and 5 fish left.

I intend to transport about half her water together with the livestock and keep the rock wet. I'm going to purchase additional rubbermaid containers tonight and make up about 50 gallons water using tap, dechlor, and IO. I'll make additional water tomorrow to make up any difference.

I need help carrying the tank with sand bed intact down the stairs from her second story livingroom. I might have other help when I get to Brentwood.

I think I can do everything except carry the tank by myself, but this will be my first tank with water, and I'm nervous. I would really appreciate the advise and help of an experienced reefer tomorrow.

Hey, this means that I'll be able to attend the next frag meeting!

Reefer Dude
07/26/2002, 10:57 AM
I will be willing to help. I will provide live shipping boxes, livestock bags, water bottles (we need to keep as much of Lori's water as possible), and whatever buckets I can come up with for the sand, and or course my truck. Anthony I would suggest you get some new garbage cans tonight and start mixing up some salt water. I have 50g of R/O made up right now, so if you want to come by and get it today, it is yours. I could have another 50g of R/O made up by tomorrow. I have moved several tanks, so I know how to do it.

Reefer Dude
07/26/2002, 10:59 AM
P.S. I also have enough salt on hand to make 100g of water. It is yours to use and repay me when you get a chance.

lori344
07/26/2002, 12:34 PM
Justin,
You are the greatest!!! :thumbsup: THANK YOU.

Anthony, sounds like you won't have to use tap now, that's great!! As I told you last night, you are more than welcome to borrow the containers here for the transport and or mixing your make up water. There are 4 15 gallon (?) tubs, two rubbermaid trash cans and 2-3 5 gallon buckets. All used for salt water only.

By the way... the sandbed is approx 150lbs alone... 5 30 lbs bags of sand. My Brother and Ron both agreed that the tank with the sandbed in tact felt like 300 plus pounds when they moved it up the stairs. My point in bringing this up is that if you don't feel comfortable carrying your half... we might need more help. My brother, and my girlfriend's husband will be here if we need. We both know Justin is a strong buck, so we should be just fine with his help.

Whooo Hooo... you're a salty now!
~lori

anathema
07/26/2002, 02:59 PM
However, I am not sure where Castro Valley is exactly, and I have to work tomorrow until 6PM, but might be able to help after, except that when I get off work I would be in the city w/o my car. I could potentially BART out to help if someone wants to pick me up. You would have to let me know what station is closest.

I am going to also be busy Sunday until ~ 6PM...

I could drive out Sunday night if you guys need the help though.

Let me know, Lori has my cell #.

Wish I could be more help.

73ChargerFan
07/26/2002, 03:41 PM
Justin, Doug & Gusty, Lori, thanks!

Anathema, hopefully I'll be back in Brentwood by 6, but I'll get in touch.

lori344
07/28/2002, 11:07 AM
Anthony,
How'd the set up go?? I'm really curious... I came back over to move the 40 gallon after we got everything into the storage unit and you were already gone. I found the syphon hose for the overflow and a piece of "cut tube" from the overflow box. Worried me that you couldn't get it removed from either the sump or where it was attached to the overflow. I tried to call you on your cell 20 times yesterday... I'm sure that isn't you voice on your message. That can't be the right number! Please call me.

~lori

Reefer Dude
07/28/2002, 11:28 AM
The breakdown went fine! Thanks for the Tang by the way, I really appreciate it. I am sure Anthony got no sleep last night and is still working away at it all.

lori344
07/28/2002, 12:09 PM
Justin,
I'm glad everything went well. I felt so bad for having to leave, but I had all those people waiting on me. Thank god you were there with Anthony.

You are welcome for the Orange Shoulder... Knowing that I wasn't going to be able to give him a good home anytime in the near future was really bothering me. I feel lucky that you had the space for him. Beautiful Fish... I'm happy he is in good hands.

~lori

73ChargerFan
07/28/2002, 05:15 PM
Justin,

Thanks for all the help! I couldn't have taken down the tank in even 12 hours because I was so nervous. But I didn't have a problem setting it back up last night, although I don't have the sump working yet.

The water is clearing up, the tangs are doing fine, and most of the livestock came through okay. But, the brain hasn't opened up yet, and I haven't seen the mandarin since I released him, but I'm sure he's just hiding out.

Well, gotta run to SuperPets to get some food!

Lori,

I hope the your moving went okay, I'll try to give you a call tonight. Thank you for a beautiful tank!

anathema
07/29/2002, 01:19 AM
Good luck with your new tank Anthony.