PDA

View Full Version : 20 Gallon Calcium

cason1975
01/16/2007, 06:45 PM
I am having trouble getting the calcium level up in my 20 gallon reef. I have been dosing with balance c. I have gotten it up to about 350 ppm. What are some things that I can do as far as dosing that I can do?

jamynsdad
01/16/2007, 08:53 PM
how old is the tank.... have you tried dripping kalkwasser?

cason1975
01/17/2007, 08:34 AM
The tank is about 4 years old and no about the dripping.

Lagger
01/17/2007, 10:36 AM
Since 2002 & only 18 posts. NiCE! :D

Now, I would seriously suggest dripping kalk. I have a 20 also, and I've thrown away my 2-part, 1-part, you name it. You wont need these once the kalk regimen starts.

Why it's low is hard to tell. You're mag or alk could be low, or alk too high. You should know both those values in ratio to your cal.

take a look here & see what it takes to get it back up, GL :thumbsup:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

triggerfreak
01/17/2007, 11:10 AM
Hey lagger how do you go about dosing kalk in your 20. I also have a 20 long and have problems with my calcium. I am dosing with kent tech cb part a right now but my calcium went down. My alk is way high but trying to bring down with water changes. I just got a container of kalk from a friend and i am looking in to using it. This will be my first time trying kalk and need some info on how to dose it right,

Lagger
01/17/2007, 02:21 PM
Don't mean to hi-jack, but I dose at night with a diy gravity fed 2-liter bottle. Nothing fancy. You can always buy an off the shelf Kent auto top-off. Or make one with a IV line.

Pretty much the standard is 1-2tsp kalk per gallon ro/di water. Shake & let settle overnight. Then you can use the clear liquid. Try to shoot for 1 drop per second. Although I'd wait and get your alk down before you start dosing. Kalk will increase your alk also.