PDA

View Full Version : salt for reef aquariums

kdogc10
01/12/2007, 06:18 PM
I would like to know, what kind of sea salt does everyone use in their reef aquariums? I have heard that the red sea pro coral salt is not what it claims. is this true? What is the best salt to use? I have been putting Instant Ocean salt in my aquarium for a long time but, I now have learned that it is low in magnesium and there are better salts out there for reef systems. your input will be very helpful. Thanks: Kevin

Mariner
01/12/2007, 06:22 PM
This question is asked a lot, and I don't think that there's one consensus answer. I've used Oceanic, Reef Crystals and Seachem's Reef Salt.
HTH,
Mariner

Vitaly
01/12/2007, 06:29 PM
I am currently using Instant Ocean, and have no complaints, but am thinking about switching to one of brands that caters to reef tanks (Tropic Marin, etc).

There is a lot of literature and opinions on the web. By far the most thorough and objective piece that I have seen is featured in the Advanced Aquarist Online Magazine.

<CENTER>
<B>Inland Reef Aquaria Salt Study Part II</B>
<I>By Mathew Marulla, Thomas O'Toole</I>
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/12/aafeature1
</CENTER>

Hope that helps...

RobTop
01/12/2007, 10:08 PM
I used IO for a long time with out complaints. Then I switched to coralife. What a differance ahveing mag, ca, and better buffing makes. IO is good and cheap for frish only, but in the long run not the way to go for a reef, IMO

mdcorcoran
01/19/2007, 12:30 AM
Oceanic here.

Rod Buehler
01/19/2007, 08:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9018803#post9018803 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mdcorcoran
Oceanic here.

I highly recommend checking the CA, and ALK if youre keeping your salt levels where they should be.

I use Tropic Marin

manofcoral
01/19/2007, 08:41 AM
I used reef crystals for over 3yrs. and have no problems keeping my levels perfect. My sps and fish seem very happy! I do not see any reason to switch to anyother brand.
Payl<><

kdogc10
01/20/2007, 11:39 PM
I think I am going to go with reef crystals for a while and see how things go. I have heard nothing but good things about their salt.

Rod Buehler
01/21/2007, 08:49 AM
manofcoral, I wasnt trying to bash your choice of salts, but even from the manufactures own claims, oceanic is designed to have proper CA, and ALK levels when its mixed at 1.019-1.020. When you mix it at 1.026 (Natural sea water) its Calcium levels are through the roof, and the alk is way low.

auto_loader
01/21/2007, 11:26 AM
I am currently using Coral Life. If you buy a T-Shirt from them they give you a free bucket of salt. Or maybe thats the other way around.

Anyway. I used Instant Ocean for the last 5 or 6 years and cant really say it ever caused me a problem. I never tested it before adding it to my tank either until I kept hearing about how low it was in some of the levels. The buckets of Coralife I have tested do test out alot better than the IO with higher levels of CA - ALK - MG and it decently priced and pretty closely match to the levels that I test out in my tank. So thats what I am going to stick with for now.

I never have used any other salts but theres a lot of people that have some really nice tanks with a lot of different brands of salt.

john eichwedel
01/22/2007, 10:53 AM
I've been using Oceanic for a couple of years. Finally figured out my alk/calc problem. Thanks Rod,John

Sara B
01/24/2007, 12:48 PM
I used to use Reef Crystals but was unhappy with the levels of CA, MG and ALK with it. I also didn't like the film it left behind in the mixing container. I switched about 6 months ago to Tropic Marin and I'm sticking with it.

jianweijiang
01/29/2007, 02:10 AM
i used tio use reef crystals and Oceanic salt.