PDA

View Full Version : Set up of NANO... Please advise

tgeppes
07/23/2002, 12:32 AM
ok this is what i want -
-1-Bulb Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor)
-2-Ocellaris Clownfish - Tank Raised (Amphiprion ocellaris)

10 gal-
biowheel without the wheel
powerhead
heater
10 lbs of LR
.75 LS

QUESTIONS
PLEASE tell me what kind of light i need... i am hearing 32 watts or 2x13 watts.... I am hearing this CBL retrofit or something... i have no idea where to buy. PLEASE someone advise
also i know anemones like to wander and grow big... do you advise some other kind of color or any other kind of softie? please let me know otherwise i just need to buy the light retro fit and i will be off... thanks for your time
[~tyler

yrureefing
07/23/2002, 07:02 AM
Anemones don't do so well in small tanks. But if you really want one then get one. You could probably get away with pc's but mh would be better. Also false percs might not accept a bta. You should get more than 2x13w.Probably more like 2x32w.

Lunchbucket
07/23/2002, 07:20 AM
i agreen on the anenome...sorry just too risky in a nano IMO.

Lunchbucket

chess_wizard
07/23/2002, 12:21 PM
I'm putting a BTA in a 7g. Because the anemones wonder around, you cannot keep any other corals or animals that can be stung by them. I'm putting 2 x 13 watt over my tank, which should be fine for a BTA. Over a 10g, 1 or 2 x 32 watt CSL units should do fine. You want to place a drilled 6" or more PVC pipe along the intake of your powerhead to prevent the anemone from wondering into it and getting shreded.

Because anemones are extreemly fragile and sentitive to water conditions, I feel 2 fish may be to much, and produce to much waist for the anemone to handle. I recomend only 1 fish.

Anemonies are extreemly fragile animals and should only be kept by advaced aquarists.

Tank raised clowns may or may not hoast with anemones. Its hit or miss.

yrureefing
07/23/2002, 03:31 PM
I think you could put 2 fish just do your water changes and don't feed too much. Also if you don't mind spending some more $$ get a skimmer.

Playfair
07/23/2002, 04:25 PM
If you do want an anemone, get ONLY a tank propagated E. quad. Experience helps, as you need a well developed "reef force" to tell you when things are about to go wrong, not after they go wrong!

My recommendation is AT LEAST 2x32w lamps, 36w is better (don't think 55w will fit?), and 3 lamps are even better yet. You will need to keep the tank parameters stabile, especially temp and salinity.

I've had a bubble tip for almost a year in my 1.5 yrs old nano and it's doing super. Hasn't wandered since planting it's foot half way down a rock in the back of the tank the week after I got it.

Bonsai Reef (http://www.mistressreef.homestead.com/files/pico/bonzai.html)

yrureefing
07/23/2002, 04:55 PM
Playfair, how much did the whole auto topoff cost. What is your secret? You have such awesome tanks.