PDA

View Full Version : So if nobody runs skimmers, what are your setups?

yupuhhuh2
07/22/2002, 04:27 PM
I will be trying to set up a 10gal tank really soon and i am wondering what are your setups? i was planning on a skimmer for filtration, but if thats not a good method what is?

OscarBeast
07/22/2002, 05:13 PM
Just do a little reading...

Many people run skimmers, but most people agree that you don't have to have one to run a nano. I use one to improve gas exchange, create current, and as an insurance policy just incase something large dies and I am not around to catch it before it causes a major crash.

As far as filtration, many people only use lots of LR and LS and do water changes to control DOCs and replace trace elements. This is about as simple as you can go. If you like, you can create complicated sumps and/or refugiums as additional filtration methods. Others use HOB filters and skimmers. Some people use it ALL!

But as far as a bare min., plenty of live rock and water changes will do the trick. Where you go from there is up to you and what you want to stock your tank with.

yrureefing
07/22/2002, 06:34 PM
OscarBeast said it perfectly.

chess_wizard
07/22/2002, 06:49 PM
oh so perfectly. I dont recomend skimmers as they remove plankton, and other wanted trace elements as well as DOC's. There another item to pay for and theres always a chance of failure for any peice of equipment.

I dont like to pay for much :)

Physh1
07/22/2002, 07:16 PM
Again I agree. If you'd like to see some setup pictures to see what you can do check out my page below and see my 7 gallon and 20 gallon setups.....simple, skimmerless, and successfull.

Cameron

OscarBeast
07/22/2002, 08:55 PM
chess_wizard,
In a mature tank, most small skimmers will not collect a thing or very little. My Red Sea Prizm didn't collected much of anything past the second two months (I didn't run it during the initial cycle), and nothing at all now. Because of this, they won't strip the water of trace elements or plankton. Even if in theory they did remove some trace elements, these should be replaced by the regular water changes a responsible reef keeper will be doing. As far as plankton, well I have been able to keep a giant feather duster alive without any problems. Being totally planktonic, it would be dead if my system was void of plankton. Many people starve these to death with regular feedings and without running skimmer.

Anyway, since it isn't doing much except the things I mentioned before, the system isn't reliant on the skimmer for filtration and therefore shouldn't matter if it did fail (though being one of the more reliable pieces of equipment, I wouldn't worry too much about it). After owning and running one, I don't see any reason not to, other than initial cost and power consumption. And if cost is a concern, many people have made very nice little DIY air driven units that work like a champ, and for just pocket change.

While I admit that many people have wonderful little systems without a skimmer, I wouldn’t go as far a recommending against one. Keep in mind that many people that have them also have wonderful little systems. I think you should feel free to use one, or go without. :p

NanoReefer53
07/23/2002, 04:37 PM
that true oscar, in more mature tanks it won't be necessary. My skimmer use to skim a lot, especailly when one of my astrea snails died :rolleyes: , but not so much anymore. Only reason i keep a skimmer on my 20g is because it has an overflow with it. This way i keep dust and whatever falls in the tank out of the water.

Ewan
07/23/2002, 11:27 PM
I keep a small reef because I have moved 6times in the last 4 years due to school. I am finally building a house next year, so I'll be moving up in tank size.

That being said, I bought equipment that I wouldn't want to upgrade for awhile. This includes a super reef devil downdraft skimmer, good overflow box (I personally wouldn't run a nano without a sump again, just my preference, it certainly isn't necessary) good, powerful return pumps, a Giesemann Nova II pendant, and my Ca reactor is on the way.

When I ran 2 10 gal nanos about 5 years ago (give or take a month) I found that I needed to tend them constantly. Going out of town for a weekend was a big hassle. I spent the money on lots of things to make my life easier. That was the name of the game for me.

Nano reefs attracted me to this hobby becaude I didn't have to spend alot of money to enjoy reefkeeping. Over the years, I bought equipment that made life easier for me. It's all a matter of preference.

jm$.02

E.