PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Reef Chemistry Quiz

rdonchann
01/05/2007, 05:31 PM
Lord knows I am not a chemist. Most of your articles lose me when you start splitting atoms. I have looked through the 2007 chemistry quiz and I need this one explained to me better.

#33 Is talking about nitrates being 50 ppm and if 10% of the water is changed then what will the ALKALINITY of the water be?

I read the answer. The question is dealing with Nitrates but you ask what the ALKALINITY would be. How does one tell ALKALINITY when all of the factors given are nitrates?

the answer says 45ppm. Alkalinity is not measured in ppm that I know anything about.

Am I missing something here?

ReeferAl
01/05/2007, 05:56 PM
Randy

I missed Master Reef Chemist by 2 questions. :(
If only I had read all the questions a little more carefully...

As the last post says, in question 33 there is not enough information to compute the final alkalinity so the correct answer should be D. That would still leave me 1 question short though.

Allen

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/05/2007, 06:51 PM
Q33 is a typo. It should read nitrate and will be fixed.

That would still leave me 1 question short though.

Wow, that's great! :)

I'll have to make next year's harder. :D

lllosingit
01/05/2007, 07:53 PM
Now I see the effects of doing so bad in High School Chemistry.
34% Novice LOL

ReeferAl
01/05/2007, 09:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8906953#post8906953 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
I'll have to make next year's harder. :D

There's no question that this year's test was already harder than last year! While I almost became a chemist (didn't like research though) I had to think hard about some of these and pull out my calculator. Did it all "closed book" though.

Allen

kfisc
01/05/2007, 11:30 PM
I'm pleased to be part of the novitiate; it gives me the courage to ignore last year's results. Thanks for putting together such an informative exercise!

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/06/2007, 06:59 AM
Thanks for putting together such an informative exercise!

:thumbsup:

I'm glad you liked it. :)

piercho
01/07/2007, 01:51 PM
I enjoyed it as much as last year, although I didn't move up from "Senior" to "Master". I got more guesses right than I deserved so I'm glad you haven't figured a way to make this essay form. The answer page after the quiz was especially good, and I like that I can revisit the answer page when I log back on - good reading material for a lunch break. I can't think of a way to improve the quiz, I just wish that you'd get more participation. Thanks and I hope that you will make the effort again next year. Happy New Years!

jnarowe
01/13/2007, 11:38 PM
I took the quiz a few days ago and my head still hurts. :rolleyes: My score was so low that I realiized I know nothing. :D Got 26% and didn't even answer some of the questions because it was just silly at that point.

So much to learn. I read your articles sometimes and usually I can understand them, but I could not distill them into correct answers on the quiz. I give myself a little break since I do have brain damage, but man, what is my next step?

How about a recommendation for reading material? Maybe something to start me off on the right foot and give me a better basic understanding of water chemistry and the scientific language used to discuss it?

I am currently having problems with my RO/DI systems and I think a better understanding of basic water chemistry, membranes, and resins would help me make better decisions. As it is, I am bringing in all new membranes and trying a 2 type resin mixture to see if I can't get back on track. Do you have any links to analysis of RO/DI implementation?

As always, you keep me on my toes...well yelling at myself too, but that's another matter! :D

Dang, I dropped from a Master last year to only a Senior (84%) this year.

Number 26 doesn't make sense as I'm looking over the answers.

The correct answer is indicated as "C: Removal of nearly all of the strontium from the water in the vicinity of the GFO may accelerate the precipitation of calcium carbonate. "

Then in the explanation it says: "The presence or absence of strontium in seawater is not expected to significantly impact the precipitation of calcium carbonate. Strontium is also not expected to strongly bind to GFO."

Shouldn't the correct answer be "A"?

Thanks, great quiz.

ReeferAl
01/21/2007, 11:42 AM
karma,

I did exactly the same thing. I misread the question. It says "least likely".

Allen

ReeferAl
01/21/2007, 11:42 AM
BTW, that was what kept me from making Master.

Dooooh! I should know better! I know how my students feel now. Ha!

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/23/2007, 12:46 PM
Both senior and master scores are excellent and put you guys in the elite!

Good job! :)

How about a recommendation for reading material? Maybe something to start me off on the right foot and give me a better basic understanding of water chemistry and the scientific language used to discuss it?

Here's a good place to start, followed by the links from it:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

jnarowe
01/23/2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks Randy. I know some of it will be review but I need it bad. :) I really appreciate your patience and helpful attitude.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/27/2007, 11:04 AM
:thumbsup:

Happy reefing. :)