PDA

View Full Version : MyReef Cube is here

dsb1829
07/19/2002, 03:48 PM
Yes, MyReef Creations makes nano tanks :D . This was a custom job that I started bugging Andy about a couple of months ago. I am not sure if he will be taking these types of nano tanks on as a product line, so if interested take it up with him. At any rate he was interested in the tank and possibilities for expansion, so he agreed to make this for me.

Yesterday the tank arrived to my house. I opened it up to find a tank built just as I had described it to him. Nice joint work and routed corners. Higher quality that I could have fabricacted myself, which was one of the reasons for seeking out a more experienced DIY guy like Andy :D .

This will be taking up residence in the upper portion of my equipment cabinet. For those who saw the "ultimate nano stand" thread this is my progress to date on the cabinet. Doors and varnishing are in the works, so I will have more updates in the next weeks.

Now for the pictures :D ;) :p

Iso View:
http://home.earthlink.net/~dbrummett/7g_page/Cube%20iso%20small.jpg

Front View:
http://home.earthlink.net/~dbrummett/7g_page/cube%20front%202%20small.JPG

In the cabinet:
http://home.earthlink.net/~dbrummett/7g_page/cube%20in%20cabinet%202%20small.jpg

dsb1829
07/19/2002, 03:54 PM
Oh yeah, the tank is 16" cubed and about 18g by the math :D

newkie
07/19/2002, 05:41 PM
You crazy obsessed nut! How many tanks does that make??? :lol:

Looks great... is it going to sit in flush with the cabinet when its done?

Lunchbucket
07/19/2002, 06:28 PM
ahh, you suck man!! i want a 20gal cube BAD!! they look sweet. no internal overflow huh? why not?

please keep us updated you are doing some of my dream stuff :(

Lunchbucket

MtnDewMan
07/19/2002, 07:55 PM
That will be cool ... what will you keep in it? What will the overall setup contain?

Keep us posted.

dsb1829
07/20/2002, 01:08 PM
This is going to be our true percula and rose anemone nano. We mix in a few softies here and there, but corals will be limited since anemones are a little unpredictable in growth and movement. We have had these animals in our 7g bf, but the anemones grow too fast to keep in that small of a tank. I think this tank is a bit more reasonable for the task of a clown/anemone tank. Even so water parameters will need to be carefully monitored not to overload the bio-filtration.

This will be lit with 2x32w CSL retrofit kit. So basically double the light of the 7g. If I get around to it I may actually put the third retro from the 7g over it as well, but for now I think that is overkill. These rose anemones are not too demanding in terms of lighting. In fact they can bleach if held under too intense of lighting.

This is all that will be in the tank. I haven't lost any other fish to rose anemones, but do realize their potential. Plus the clowns do appreciate having the tank to themselves :D

I am still up in the air on what filtration/powerheads I will be using for this. I still have another week or so to finish up the cabinet before I decide anything.

dsb1829
07/20/2002, 01:11 PM
Here is our 7g

http://home.earthlink.net/~dbrummett/nano.htm

dsb1829
07/20/2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by newkie
You crazy obsessed nut! How many tanks does that make??? :lol:

Looks great... is it going to sit in flush with the cabinet when its done?

C'mon only 8 of them are display tanks. The other three don't count :D ;) :p Actually I don't count them if they don't have water in them, so in reallity I only have 2 tanks :rolleyes:

I think It will sit back in the cabinet about 1-2"

dsb1829
07/20/2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
ahh, you suck man!! i want a 20gal cube BAD!! they look sweet. no internal overflow huh? why not?

please keep us updated you are doing some of my dream stuff :(

Lunchbucket

I wanted to keep things simple since this is the first tank Andy has built. I also like to drill the tank myself so I can decide exactly where I want stuff to go. Another reason that I went acrylic instead of glass.

Updates will be posted as they arrive ;)

gas4544
07/20/2002, 03:20 PM
Looks like you have room in the cabinet for a sump/refugium if you decide to add an overflow to the tank. Anybody running a sump on their nano? Just curious.

By the way, what did this tank cost? Can you share that info? A tank like this would be great for my 150W HQI pendant.

dsb1829
07/21/2002, 01:13 PM
The lower portion of the cabinet will hold my 40g sump. It will be plumbed from the 72g reef tank. The upper side cabinet space will hold the skimmer and reactor as well as some other supplies.

I paid about $120 after shipping. I can't hold Andy to the price since it is a prototype/custom tank. He may be able to make them cheaper or they may be more. I think it really depends on wheather he decides to persue this as a product line. I was able to talk him into making it since I have purchased several other items from him and I think he was curious to try.

I had originally planned to light it with a 150w hqi, but decided that it was too intense for the anemones after I had a couple of roses in my main tank pale a bit under them. For an sps nano the hqi is great though :D

reef120
07/22/2002, 04:04 PM
Lunchbucket

Here is a few pictures of my nano tank the day I received it.

dsb1829
07/23/2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by reef120
Lunchbucket

Here is a few pictures of my nano tank the day I received it.

Huh? :confused:

reef120
07/23/2002, 03:32 PM
oppps here is the link to the pictures.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=78633