PDA

View Full Version : filtration of small systems

Cowman345
07/18/2002, 11:45 PM
Alright everyone... i've been doing some reading through here and there seems to be some debate as to what makes a good filter for nano tanks. Everyone, of course, has their own opinions, but I was hoping to get a general concensous as to what kind of filtration (meaning filters, water changes, DSBs, refugiums, skimmer) you're using on your systems, and what seems to work well.

as a starting point, i have a question: is it true that bio-wheels tend to leave you with high levels of nitrates? also, what about filter-less systems... are those ok?

-dave-

Cowman345
07/19/2002, 05:21 PM
c'mon... anyone?

chess_wizard
07/19/2002, 05:59 PM
The most popular method for nano reef filtration is the engblom(?) method. That is using pure biological filtration. Live rock Live sand, and macro algeas makes up this method. Wheather or not to use a DSB is up to you just like in larger systems however DSB's take away significant space for your inhabitants. Many find useing internal and or external refugums for the placement of macro algeas, extra rock and DSB's helpfull and or benificial. The use of skimmers is not recomened by a large amount of people but those who have and use skimmers seems to have good success with them. Those without skimmers opt for doing very frequent water changes, usually 20% a week. Some prefer (like me) to do 2 water changes at 20% each a week.

Cowman345
07/19/2002, 08:02 PM
thanks for the reply...

so, i don't really need a power filter at all if i were to set up an external refugium with a ton of base rock?

-dave-

chess_wizard
07/19/2002, 09:28 PM
Either way accomplishes the same thing. On my 5g nano I run a whisper powerfilter filled with LS, but I also could build an external refugum to do the same, or both . Just depends on what you prefer.

I would not run any carbon or mechanicle filtration because it tends to increase your nitrates and capture wanted plankton. The carbon over time can leach phosphates if not replaced often and it removes trace elements from the water which your corals and other inverts thrive on. Some have had perfect success useing carbon and machanicle filtration but the general crowd stays clear of it.

Physh1
07/19/2002, 09:58 PM
I use a Aquaclear 150 with a sponge in it. I use carbon for a few days out of a month just for some clarity. I also have a surface skimmer attachment on my Aquaclear so the surface stays skum free. I have a 3" sand bed but I am unsure as to how a DSB would function in a nano. Not nearly as well for sure but I'm kinda trying to see.

Anyways, my tank does well and it is simple to care for, stable, and has good water quality. Trates are below 15, and ph and alk are always good.

Cameron

kosta
07/19/2002, 10:04 PM
For my new tank, I opted for just a dsb, live rock, and airlines/airstones for circulation. I also have it next to a window to catch some extra light. Looks cool, and so far everything's working out. No hair algea or anything yet (knock on wood) and it's been about three weeks.

I've never used the wheels, but to me, it seems a big myth that they produce more nitrates. If you start with an amount of organics, you can only make a certain amount of nitrates. It doesn't matter who the "middle man" in the cycle is. Wheels and rock are just two different means to the same end, and nitrates don't just pop out of thin air.

India
07/19/2002, 10:13 PM
My understanding of the nitrate problem is:

Aerobic areas support growth of bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. Almost anaerobic areas (such as center of LR, the depths of a DSB) support the bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen gas....if you have a system with bioballs, or a biowheel, you have a disproportunately large population of the first type of bacteria, and much less of the second...so your wastes are quickly turned to nitrate, which languishes in the system...same total amount of waste, but not enough denitrifying bacteria...That is the advantage of LR, DSB, and plenums over CellPore, BioBall, wet/drys and biowheels...

spineshank385
07/20/2002, 07:32 PM
SKILTER ALL THEY WAY!!!! no, seriously, i have a skilter on my 20L nano, and it works fine. There are mad mods on it, and it doesn't even look like a skilter anymore, but i get dark green foam, that's almost the consistency of really soft styrofoam. It's not even wet by the time it hits the collection cup.

Mods are:
-Limewood airstone in skimmer tower, powered by a tetratec pump (the largest size available)
-venturi feature removed
-a 6" PVC pipe over the hole in the collection cup (this makes the foam dry. Before, i was having problems with the foam being too wet, and overflowing the cup, now i hafta empty the cup about once a month, if that).

works like a charm, now

India
07/20/2002, 08:51 PM
Spineshank, any ideas for beefing up or adjusting a Prizm? Mine's not pulling much...
Thanks,
India

Freckles
07/20/2002, 10:08 PM
I use a 4" dsb, approx. 35 lbs. of lr, and a powerhead on my 20g. Oh, & I'm skimmerless, too ....

Physh1
07/20/2002, 10:09 PM
I have seen some people add an airstone instead of use the venturi and I have seen some use an airpump on the vernturi to make the airflow more tunable and inject more air....

I would think adding a skimmer stone is a better choice and whether or not to plug the venturi on the skimmer I would probably not mess with that.

Cameron

Ananda
07/20/2002, 11:31 PM
I'm using an internal Fluval 1 filter in my 10g tank. It doubles as a powerhead. It has a small media chamber that I fill with Phosguard. Then I wrap a square of filter felt around that so it's a double layer. This filters out any suspended gunk, leftover Microvert food, or other stuff. I rinse out the filter felt, and check the Phosguard to see if it needs replacing, about every week or so.

So far so good -- my nitrates are under 10, the Phosguard deals with the phosphates in my top-off water, and the water is clearer with the filter. All my corals are growing and the coralline is spreading. Only problem is that the aiptasia are growing, too.

spineshank385
07/21/2002, 07:42 AM
hey look! it's ananda!

spineshank385
07/21/2002, 10:59 AM
sorry india, i've had absolutely no experiance with prizm's. This is my first reef tank, so i'm still learning a lot. My next skimmer will definately be some type of aqua-c though.

India
07/21/2002, 12:00 PM
I run a Remora Pro on my 94 gal...I like it fine. Make sure you get rid of the Rio it comes with...if I had to do it again, I would have oversized the Mag I replaced it with...
India