PDA

View Full Version : i can't stand my tetratec filter

Cowman345
07/18/2002, 09:57 PM
I got a new PF150 by Tetratec and i hate it. It's so noisy... and it's not that it's just constant white noise, it sounds like a hyperactive seven-year-old drinking a slurpee.

is there anything to do about this noise? or should i just sell it and get a penguin?

-dave-

turbosiavr
07/18/2002, 10:19 PM
sell it i had one too..i thought it was a pointless peice of junk!:furious:

gilman
07/19/2002, 08:25 AM
LOL@hyperactive seven-year-old drinking a slurpee!!!:lolspin:

I have been wondering about these tetratec filters for quite some time. Thanks for the heads up.

Gil

dsb1829
07/19/2002, 03:59 PM
Tetra=Junk period

Least that is what most who have used these come to. I asked my friend at the lfs about them. He has a maintenance business on the side and has sold a few of these out of the store. He was somewhat less than amused with the product. Pretty much said it wasn't worth the money, best bet is still the HO hagen units and even these have their little issues.

ttt...

Carlos
07/19/2002, 04:34 PM
There is absolutely no way of creating a silent surge device. One of the reasons why I have not jumped and purchased one. They are bound to be loud and prolly cause lots of tiny bubbles.

Carlos

Exocet
07/20/2002, 04:37 PM
I have one on my 7 Gallon minibow (PF150) . It does make a gurgle sound, but at work, I don't notice it. I'm sure it would be different if it was in a bedroom that was quiet.

It does make a few small bubbles, but they rise right to the top, they arent micro-bubbles that float around forever. I like the surge (with bubbles) because it breaks the surface up, and prevents a film buildup.

All in all, I love mine.

To each his own I guess! :)

cwbroden
07/24/2002, 02:49 PM
Cowman, I agree completely. I won a TetraTec filter at MACNA last year thinking that it would be a great filter. Not so. I use it on a freshwater tank, but even there it is still a pain and a real noise maker.

I have also had it clog up a few times, something that I do not have happen with other power filters.

Oh well... maybe they will make a new generation in a year or so that works better.

predictablyrandom
07/26/2002, 09:22 AM
so thats odd - ive been using tetratec for about 10 months now and its been working super. As far as noise, the only one I hear is the water falling if the water level has gone down.

I actually have a 20 gallon with live rock, sand, fishes and a few polyps here and there and wondered if I need a skimmer if I want to put in corals??

Will
07/26/2002, 09:02 PM
i've got one of those on my 20. i think it's great! the heating capsule is very, very convenient and out of the way. also, it makes the perfect current for my tank. i can garuntee you it's not noisy if you've got it set right. mine's in my bedroom and i have no problem sleeping at night or anything like that. actually, it's much quieter than the air pump that runs my skimmer. like predictably random said, it only makes a notable noise when the water level falls too low. it's really a great little filter for a small tank and it's a shame that so many people have had bad experiences with one. i'd recommed them to anyone. i think they're really great and they keep my water sparkling!
fourhand2

turbosiavr
07/26/2002, 09:40 PM
i think it's a piece of junk!that 30.00 capsule heater sux as well it does not even keep the proper temp that u set it in!:mad: for 50.00 dollar for a rtetratec 150 and 30.00 for the heater i dont think its worth it at all!!!!!!!!!!:furious: