PDA

View Full Version : Overflows????

mitchellmoto
12/27/2006, 02:22 PM
Do you realy need internal overflows. I'm looking for a new or used tank and I though I needed internal overflows for a larger tank. Could someone tell me what the down side to hang on the back overflows have beside visual effects??

bpatrol
12/27/2006, 03:21 PM
the big thing would be reliability..overflow boxes can get clogged,air ,algae buildup..if you get a big tank i think it is best to have a built in overflow..trust me coming home to spillage especialy on a 180 plus tank would be bad...good luck on your search..also try glasscages.com they make affordable aquariums..bpatrol

killingseed
12/27/2006, 05:34 PM
i think on a big tank its a plus to have it setup for overlfow as well as even having some etra hole drilled for a closed loop. just make it look better in the long run, i presonal hate seeing cords dome heaters and power heads in the tank just an eye sore.

having a intreanal overflow V an add on type over flow. you get the same working compants, with the exception of having the tank setup for it and you dont have to do much but plumb it.
depands on where you are thinking about placing the tank . i know tanks can have corner, side and back over flow. so if you wanted the tank to have the front and back exposed for viewing a single side over flow helps in the type of setup where you may only want to view or the setup may only allow you to see only the front of the tank. corner or back overflows can do more in that type of setup.

personaly if i had the time or money , "soon" i would get a tank with built in overlfows and holes for closed loop flow, and i would just need to think about placement. i like how people use them as room diveder and you can see front and back, using a single sided interanl overflow.

killingseed
12/27/2006, 05:36 PM
sorry i may ramble a little?¿

jmait769
12/27/2006, 07:49 PM
No killingseed your not rambling! I agree. If I could do it again I would opt for the drilled tank too. I have the dual overflow and so far I have had no overflow problems. But aesthetically speaking the drilled tank looks a lot better and you can place it closer to the wall.

Here is a pic of my overflow. It is ugly!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/jmait769/CL02.jpg

Jay

mitchellmoto
12/27/2006, 10:34 PM
I guessed as much. But just wanted to be sure. I use a hangon the back overflow now and it has clogged, but what stops the predrilled from clogging and overflowing. I found a 150gal rr tank today, At Salywater Heaven. It was used, oceanic with stand, dual overflows, oceanic sump, little giant pump and all the plumbing already there. $900 bucks! sound like a good deal? I realy liked it and am thinking of purchasing it. The only downfall to it was the brace on top. it was huge and in the way. It was glass and wouldn't stop all the light but I think it would restict it some. Basically I wouldn't be able to put my 400w MH in the middle like I would like to.
I like to make note that Chris is a good guy and I am realy thankful for his time today to let me see the tank. Your mom is great as well. I'm still thinking about buying, I'm just not sure yet.

jmait769
12/28/2006, 09:48 AM
I think that is a pretty good deal with the stand, sump and all plumbing. What size is the sump? With the 150 you may need to add another MH for a left and right. I don’t think one MH would work well. You'll need more rock!!:D

Jay

mitchellmoto
12/28/2006, 01:58 PM
yea I know I'd need more Halide. I'm planning on 2 x 250 on each side of the 400.
It is just that huge brace has to be at least 6-7in wide right in the middle. Right where you'd put a light

But Today I found another deal 140 rr with sump ,stand (which needs finishing), 2 Metal halide ballast & caps(needs reflector and bulbs all the plumbing and he is throwing in a new miter saw to finish off the stand. $750. The tank is brand new still has the sticker on it. He is only 5 hour away.

Then a deal in Abuque. 120 with 2 MH, Skimmer, sand, live rock Large fish, $975 but it isn't reef ready. I think I'm leaning towards the 140 for $750. Sounds good. It is just so hard to decide this is a big purchase and I want it to be what I want?

killingseed
12/28/2006, 02:18 PM
heheh i need a miter saw :<

mitchellmoto
12/28/2006, 02:24 PM
If I get it I'll sell you the miter real cheap or you could just borrow it!

killingseed
12/28/2006, 04:13 PM
cool, well getting one is in my plans and i set some cash a side. , so if you dont need it and get it i am in the maket for one.

i plan on making a better stand for my 75gl with more room and a way to hide my power station and reserve tank , more sheving for more stuff, man normal stands just never have enough room for a good reef and equipment.

mitchellmoto
12/29/2006, 01:50 PM
isn't that the truth we want to build our own stand as well. Larger with cabinets on the side for storage of misc. BS.

mitchellmoto
12/29/2006, 09:24 PM
I think after all the looking I've found the tank.

180 gal with dual overflows, oak stand and canopy, and 250 MH 1or2? (not sure how many)T5 VHO (not sure how many) large oceanic sump and skimmer $1350.

I rented a cargo van and I'm leaving atr 9:00 tomorrow to pick it up in Albuquque.
What sucks is I was just up there last night to pick up a 62 beetle.
Darn now I've got to make the trip again. it is a good 3 1/2 hour drive.
I'll tank pics as and get them posted as soon as possible.

mitchellmoto
01/01/2007, 03:30 AM
Guys I bought the 180. Great buy. I'll try to post pics as I set it up. While in north NM I bought more coral to so hopefully I'll get the tanks set up by Wed. at the latest and get pics.

PEACE
Mitch

killingseed
01/01/2007, 08:15 PM
Cool, pics of the tanks and equipment would be great!
Here is a pic of the miter saw, that my wife's step mom and dad/ my sons grand parents, got me. The build is on!

miter saw (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Bench+Power+Tools&pid=00921231000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Miter+Saws&BV_SessionID=@@@@2052215435.1167700297@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccldaddjkgljjihcefecemldffidfno.0)

mitchellmoto
01/02/2007, 01:19 AM
I bought a miter saw about a month and a half ago and I haven't even taken it out of the box.

I'll try to get pics as I go along and then post them at the end. I'm painting the canopy, stand and the back of the tank black. and trying to seal the bottom of the stand incase of an overflow.

bpatrol
01/02/2007, 12:58 PM
congrats on your find!...you will love the extra space a 180 gives you.....bpatrol