PDA

View Full Version : hammer coral reproduction

jer
07/18/2002, 12:09 PM
I have a green hammer (euphyllia ancora?) that made some babies. The baby colonies are attached to the main branch and appeared as the main colony grew up, leaving the babies behind (I can get a photo if this does not make sense). Anyway, I wondering how to remove and relocate them. I am thinking the best way is to wait until they are large enough to break off. But, I am worried they may not survive since they are shaded by the main colony above. The baby colonies are about 1/4" diameter x 1/8" high.

Thanks

ps- nice to see you guys moderating another forum!

John

griss
07/18/2002, 12:27 PM
John,

Yes, a picture would help. Are the buds (babies) too small to break off the main stalk? If you can, I would just break them off.

If that is not the case, are you home this weekend? Maybe I could come by Sunday and take a look at the Hammer.

Griss

jer
07/18/2002, 12:37 PM
They are too small to break off IMO. I will try to get a photo tonight. As moderator, what sort of consulting fees are we talking if you stop by Sunday?

rudij
07/18/2002, 02:02 PM
Not sure if anyone else has tried this but if they babies are far enough off the main stalk i have used a dremmel tool to cut the stalk as that way i can control where the break happens.

Just a thought.

griss
07/18/2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by rudij
Not sure if anyone else has tried this but if they babies are far enough off the main stalk i have used a dremmel tool to cut the stalk as that way i can control where the break happens.
Just a thought.

Rudi, I frequently use a RotoZip to frag stonies as well.

Originally posted by jer
They are too small to break off IMO. I will try to get a photo tonight. As moderator, what sort of consulting fees are we talking if you stop by Sunday?

Hmmm...consulting fees and interesting thought. I know, I'll just bring my SPS snippers:D Seriously, if you want I can come by with my RotoZip and we can see if we can cut them off. Let me know.

George

Chrismo
09/28/2002, 09:59 AM
Hi,

I've been trying to find out how to seperate my Hammer "babies" too. Did you successfully seperate yours?

I'm kinda hoping a really sharp razor might cut them off, but worry that their internal organs go into that main branch. My bigger ones are 1/4" or so. I've got 10 or so ones half that size too.

Chris