PDA

View Full Version : Trying to dig up some Sand

theslimOne
07/18/2002, 10:33 AM
Subject says it all. I have been reading for quite a while about Sandbeds. I am just a couple of things short of setting up my tank...Again. Heheh and need some information about where how much and what type of sand I should be putting in there. I have a 55g. I plan on running LR also if that helps. People say about 4" in the bottom. Ok, where do I get your basic sand for thats not $35 for a 20lb bag? This isn't even live sand. Is it best to get a bunch of sand and seed it with live sand from a shop?

Also one more question. Does anyone know where you can get LR thats not going to kill me? I'm in the military and don't make a fortune. I found a place here that sells it (Fiji) for 2.99lb but if you live in DFW area its $3.50lb I am not understanding that.. Haha

Thanks for the time

Rick

gregt
07/18/2002, 07:13 PM
theslimOne,

I'm no longer a Texan, so I can't ask your specific questions, but I wanted to say:

[welcome]

alf3482
07/20/2002, 10:43 AM
Is it best to get a bunch of sand and seed it with live sand from a shop?

Great idea!! This is how I have done all 5 of my tanks.

Does anyone know where you can get LR thats not going to kill me?

www.themarinecenter.com is as cheap as you are going to get. hth

theslimOne
07/20/2002, 08:38 PM
Anyone got any ideas about the Southdown?? There has to be someplace in DFW that carries it.

Rick

Jimmy Walls
07/21/2002, 06:18 PM
Rick,

I still have a few bags of southdown left and have a pallet of purecaribbeanaragonite coming in next week.

The price for the local live rock is more because they paid to have it shipped here. The others is dropped ship from LA and the customer pays shipping. I have ordered from them once and it was fine. I ended up taking their price to my wholesaler because he was charging more wholesale than they were retail. That is uncured rock right out of the box. It will take a few weeks to cure before you can do anything else.

Jimmy Walls

NewMariner
07/21/2002, 09:32 PM
Jimmy,

You got a pallet of pure caribbean aragonite comin in next week? Are you going to use it all? If not how much a bag do you want for it? I would like to pick up a few bags....

Tony

Jimmy Walls
07/22/2002, 09:30 AM
Tony,

If this is for the new 240 you will need more than a few. I started a part time service company a couple of years back and got on as a distributor for the sand. My price is set by them and I will send you an email so as not to turn this into a commercial post.

Thanks,
Jimmy

theslimOne
07/22/2002, 10:30 AM
Yes please I would like an email thanks a ton. Its actually a 55g tank, Not sure as to how many bags I need

richardtorrey@charter.net