PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Max

vest0830
12/24/2006, 08:28 PM
My brother and sister in-law are looking at getting this system. I thought it looked pretty decent for being a plug and play, 30g, power compacts, 12x's an hour turnover rate, doesn't seem all that bad! What do you think?

Link to the set-up
http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/index.html

My only concerns:
-heat from the lights.
-Custom Aquatics has it listed for $591, backordered. Seems like a pretty steap price tag for a 30g system.

jasalmanza
12/25/2006, 12:35 AM
I really like the idea, and the features seem decent. plug and play never really is though....we all know that!

--The features are what sell this unit, looks like they have incoorporated alot of the DIY forum features: T5s, moonlights, hinged hood for simple access to aquascaping, a detailed/diagramed control panel, etc. I don't think I'd advise the mechanicle filtration, but you could load that area with carbon, and possibly get creative and use it for cheato (jeff will figure this out).

What you could also do is use the rear "filter area" primarily as an overflow and drill it for a lower sump/fuge area. I like the control of an external skimmer, plus you would add to the total system volume, further stabilizing the system. Redsea has consistantly made quality products from what I have experienced.

You'd be hard pressed to find a "plug-n-play" system for $600.

jasalmanza
12/25/2006, 12:37 AM
...Add another $100 for a stand (not all of us can get free wood like jeff)

jasalmanza
12/25/2006, 12:43 AM
For that price, now that I think about it, you could get a pretty large system...

Do they have DIY skills?

vest0830
12/25/2006, 03:54 AM
My thoughts exactly. They are DIY people, do alot of things on there own...so I think a homebuilt tank would be much better both cost wise and they would understand a little more what it takes to operate a system, rather than just adding water and pluging it in the wall.

I think I am going to peice them a system together and see what we can come up with. There is a system in the nano section built by a guy with the forum name "K9" and he had a 20g long, it was a very nice tank and he had very little $$ in it.

Please continue to add more to the thread, I am going to email them this link.

jasalmanza
12/25/2006, 07:00 AM
I'm sure most of us will agree, that "building" is at least half the fun! And just like working on a car, if you are the one making adjustments, when something does go wrong you will be more inclined to fix/save it, and you will feel comfortable around the equiptment. If you have no "buy-in" there really is no reason to continue, should the system fail. I think thats why people think this hobby is soooo difficult.

jeffb3t
12/26/2006, 03:14 AM
Oh I hear my name being slung around in this thread! For the price, not bad although very limited to what you can do and keep. Flow inside the tank might be an issue when things start to grow out. I think that they would be happier if they built thier own system from scratch though. I am not all to keen on the filtration system and many improvements could be made if I could see it in person (including the fuge for Cheato ;) ) If they have the DIY skills, the stand is a no brainer and they can take lesson from me for "free wood" The actual secret is while vest is diving in junkyards for carparts, I'm diving in dumpsters for good wood. You'd be surprised at the cool stuff you can find. In fact, I am now starting to build my "own office" it will be an 8' X 8' shed build to withstand typhoons of course and best of all, mostly out of stuff I find while diving. (FYI construction sites are goldmines... just ask the workers if you can have some of the crap in the dumpster....)

saltycreefer
12/26/2006, 03:17 AM
When are they gonna design one of these with a built in skimmer?

jeffb3t
12/26/2006, 07:05 AM
This one does have a built in skimmer in the "filtration system". I just don't know how well it works

vest0830
12/26/2006, 09:26 AM
it has a built in skimmer.

jeffb3t
12/27/2006, 04:10 AM
Gee, talking about diving... I got 14 good 2x4s today.....