PDA

View Full Version : The info for tomorrow's meeting is here!

anathema
07/17/2002, 03:01 PM
Since I have not heard from anyone on this, I went ahead and contacted Eddie at Tropical Paradise. He said we are welcome to hold our meeting at his shop tomorrow evening.

From what I understand, the meeting subject we had scheduled was coral fragging techniques. I can print up some info, bring my copy of Anthony Calfo's book, and wing it even though I am not the most experienced reefer around. If anyone wants to help out, I would welcome any help.

If members wanted to bring in corals that they are unsure how to frag, we could frag it in a more organized manner than we usually see at the meetings. This would give everyone a chance to see how it is done. I will be contacting people who have talked with me about difficult to frag corals and seeing if they will be coming and could bring them in.

If you don't want to bring any corals in, bring your questions.

This meeting will give us an opportunity to learn and possibly observe fragging without the chaos of the frag meetings. We will at most be fragging one or two corals as a demonstration. I will also give some examples of the tools that can be used for fragging, and techniques to help recovery and healing.

Time: 7:00 PM

For directions check the site.

I will be updating the club website when i get a chance. (after work)

Email me at: gusty@uninked.com with any questions.

Thanks,

Gusty

berkeleyfishboi
07/17/2002, 03:13 PM
How much is membership? And do you have to be a member to attend?

Thanks

anathema
07/17/2002, 04:28 PM
Membership is $30 a year, pro rated to September. Right now that's not very much.

You do not need to be a member to come to the meetings, but it entitles you to several club resources such as the frag trades and the club library.

We encourage non members to come to the meetings and meet everyone, if you like the club you can join at a later date.

Hope you can make it.

berkeleyfishboi
07/18/2002, 04:54 AM
I must be the biggest idiot alive. I thought it was on Wednesday for some reason and I showed up at Tropical Paradise and asked Eddie if the meeting was still going on. He said it was tomorrow. Boy am I dumb.

Anyhow,

If I bring a finger leather and a sinularia, would you guys frag it? I'm pretty sure I'll join if I go tomorrow. Also, would I need to bring a few pieces of LR in also for to place the fresh softies frag onto?

anathema
07/18/2002, 09:57 AM
We haven't been the best about meeting notification, so your mistake is understandable.

We can frag your softies if you want to bring them in, why don't you bring one of them and save the other one for the frag meeting if you want to share it. Most softies are similar as far as fragging is concerned, and we won't have time to do a lot of fragging at this meeting. We already have a "slimy type" softy to frag, so if you have a leathery softie we can use that also.

It would be nice if you brought some rock of your own, but I will have some. I am bringing a little, but I don't really have that much and won't have time to pick any more up.

See you tonight,

Gusty

anathema
07/18/2002, 12:16 PM
Hello fellow BARE members, We have had some delays in the announcement, but there will be a meeting tomorrow, July 18th. The meeting will be held at Tropical Paradise in San Leandro, for directions please visit their site at www.gotpa.com Meeting time will be 7:00 PM. The topic of this meeting will be coral propogation techniques. This will not be a frag meeting, but we will be fragging several corals. Club members Alvin Hom and Matthew Schmuck were very generous and have donated several corals for the demonstration. We will be representing several of the major coral groups, including:

SPS corals - Pocillapora
LPS corals - Galaxea
Octorals - Colt
Gorgonians - Photosynthetic Gorgonian
Zooanthids

Anything else members would like to bring in and try to frag. This is NOT a frag meeting, however, If members wanted to bring in corals that they are unsure how to frag, we could frag them in a more organized manner than we usually see at the meetings. This would give everyone a chance to see how it is done and discuss their ideas. We have enough donations to provide for our demonstrations, so please only bring a coral if you are unsure how to frag or need help.

We will also have a question and answer session covering techniques for attaching frags. If members have materials such as rubber bands, netting, needles, and fishing line they could bring it would be appreciated. We don't need very much, but I it would be nice to have items to display. Let's please save the bulk of our frags for the frag meeting I am sure we are all looking forward to next month. I hope that everyone can make it, I'm sure we will all have a great time.

See you there,

Gusty