Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/24/2005, 12:53 AM
Premium Member

Discovery Channel: The Dolphin Murders

Brief:
When dead dolphins are washed up on a remote Scottish coastline, the authorities are baffled - there's no apparent cause of death. But when the same thing happens in Virginia , USA , investigations are launched on TWO continents, in pursuit of a ruthless killer. And when a suspect is finally found, the truth is so shocking, that no one wants to believe it. Filmed in the style of a real-life police procedural, with the twists and turns of the best thrillers, The Dolphin Murders is a forensic documentary with a difference. Because this time the murders are captured on tape.

Comment:
I am really shocked after watching the footage...(spoiler ahead for those who still want to watch it)...

I can't believe bottlenose dolphins would fling smaller porpoises out like that. Plus with that "dolphin tourist boat" and the footage you hear the women in the background screaming as they witness the murder. It was a bit scary to say the least. Those dolphins were flinging porpoises weighing over 100~150 pounds with ease. If a dolphin were to do that to a human over and over again I can imagine all that internal organ damage.
Old 01/24/2005, 01:12 AM
Premium Member

Did anyone ever see the Simpsons when the dolphis came out of the sea and took over?
Old 01/24/2005, 01:24 AM
Premium Member

No but that must've been a very amusing episode. Would think something like that to happen in family guy or futurama versus simpsons.
Old 01/24/2005, 01:00 PM
Moved On

I knew whodunnit immediately.. I have seen the killer in action before... The killer preys particularly on young, female or other races.... It is a very good show though... Did you watch the one about the Humboldt squids ?? KILLER SQUIDS !!!! those things are massive and have massive beaks that can kill humans.. OUCH !!!!
Old 01/24/2005, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

yes - I watched that and was shocked that a one year old squid can do that kind of damage!
Old 01/24/2005, 06:34 PM
I'm Rick James @#$%&

did they ever say why the dolphins act that way?

rememeber, the best place to store alcohol is your bloodstream....
Old 01/24/2005, 08:40 PM
Moved On

I have seen another documentary in which large male bottle nose dolphin were violently harassing a young female trying to force her to mate with them. They also had video and discussed the bottlenose attacking smaller species and small porpoises. They theroize that they are just enforcing their dominance and superiority over the weaker species..
Old 01/24/2005, 08:47 PM
Fish Nutzi

Quote:
Originally posted by rustang
They theroize that they are just enforcing their dominance and superiority over the weaker species.. [/B]
So basically acting like a human being.
Old 01/24/2005, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

One theory is they are teaching their young how to hunt / be dominant.

Quote:
Originally posted by salty toes
did they ever say why the dolphins act that way?